A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Battery drain, removed cigarette lighter fuse & all is good.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain, removed cigarette lighter fuse & all is good.

I have a 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0l that I just bought a week ago. I realized that the cigarette lighter was not working on the drive home. Last night I remembered this about the cigarette lighter and went out and checked the fuse, it was blown. Today after driving around and so on my battery light came on. I couldn't understand why as belt was good, battery ok and Alt ok. Then I remembered putting the fuse in last night. I didn't think this would be related but I decided to check. I started the car and turned on as much electrical equipment as I could. The lights started to go dim and not recover. I pulled the fuse at this time and nothing happened. I then gave it a little bit of fuel and then all the lights came on bright and the battery light went off. Went for a drive and haven't had anymore issues.
Has anyone else had this type of issue? How can you fix it permanently and have your cigarette lighter outlet?

New to Audi as I have wanted one for a while now and finally pulled the trigger.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My cigarette lighter doesn't work. Maybe this is why.

I had a similar problem with the radio draining the battery and just replaced it with a "donor" car. Maybe you can locate a "donor" car with a good lighter...
Old 06-12-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure. I was thinking of having the cigarette lighter connected with a Google switch so I can cut the power to it and when I need to plug something in I can just flip the switch. I have these small round inconspicuous ones that hide nicely.
I didn't drive it until today and only had to go about 2 kms and then stop and wait for the store to open. I had to wait 15 minutes but I had the car idle off with the radio on. When I came back out my car wouldn't start. I got a boost and just after it was boosted I had 2 lights come on, battery one and the ESP one. After about 2 minutes they both went off. I took it for a good half hour run on the highway in hopes to charge the battery. I haven't had anymore no starting issues as of yet. Crossing my fingers.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

ESP is typical when losing battery charge. The final reset is the steering angle sensor.

Well, goo luck and let us know how it goes. It has always been a pain in mine as I use the trunk / boot charge with a long cord to charge in the car.