A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Wiring, rodent damage and other things I never thought I'd be posting about

Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring, rodent damage and other things I never thought I'd be posting about

Hi All –

I’ve posted here several times for ongoing issues with my beloved 2003 A4 1.8 T and could really use some input and advice for this frustrating new issue.

So, two months ago my check engine, EPC and oil sensor lights came on. My independent mechanic couldn’t find an issue, so I begrudgingly took it to the dealership. They reported that I needed a new speed sensor and a rewiring of the oil sensor wires (the actual oil sensor was replaced two years ago, so it wasn’t the sensor triggering the light). I had both done. A week later, my oil sensor light came back on and I returned to the dealership. They found that rodents had chewed through the oil sensor wiring, which probably was the reason the light came on in the first place (and makes me wonder if I needed a new speed sensor at all or if it was a chewed wire situation there). They rewired the oil sensor free of charge as a make good, which was appreciated. Shocked with the thought of rats eating my car, I asked the service manager what if anything I could do. He said there was really nothing other than treating the pest problem and that he was having the same problem with chipmunks and his car. I live in Boston and park off-street at my building, so my car is parked outdoors. There is not an option to garage it anywhere close by. So, getting the car away from rodents is unfortunately not a real option.

Disgusted, I did a ton of research and found that other than employing some homegrown techniques to discourage rodents from getting into the engine (spraying peppermint oil, imitation predator urine, rubbing cayenne pepper on wires, sprinkling crystallized moth ***** around perimeter of car), nothing can really be done except for getting rid of them. I’ve worked with my building’s management to have the parking lot area cleaned, brush cleared and traps set. I lowered my deductible (yes, insurance covers rodent damage, surprisingly) to the state minimum, $300, so I can at least file claims if it happened again (which of course involves all the go around with filing a claim, getting an estimate, getting the repair, submitting it, watching my insurance rate increase and of coure having to pay the first $300 of the repair anyway). I wrote to the city pest control center. I parked on the street for awhile (until getting dinged, prompting me to return to the off-street space, which again being in Boston, is a pricy expense). I called around to different mechanics and pest control companies – would rat traps or spraying work better (traps are better)? Can the entrance points in the cars be blocked with mesh wiring? (yes, but since pests can enter holes the size of dimes, it’s impossible to enmesh every potential entry point)?

So once again, last night, my oil sensor light came back. I’m sure it’s the wiring and not the unit once again and I’m pretty fed up. I noticed the car idled high when I started it up yesterday – the same thing happened when my speed sensor malfunctioned; I have a feeling the wiring may be half gnawed and I’ll once again encounter check engine and EPC lights and the stalling out in the middle of traffic like it did two months back.

So, my long-winded query here: (1) as long as the oil sensor itself works and the oil level and pressure is fine, is there a real need to rewire the oil sensor if it may just be gnawed through again? Obviously if something like the speed sensor harness or other “more important” wires are damaged, those will need to be fixed. (2) what the heck can I do about these stupid rodents? The thought of even buying a new car has crossed my mind – since they’ve been in the engine before and have repeatedly eaten wires, they obviously find my car to be a safe house/buffet. And no, no other cars in the lot are having these problems. Seriously at my wit’s end and no clue what to do. Any advice appreciated!!

Kelly
Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kellycan1
And no, no other cars in the lot are having these problems. Seriously at my wit’s end and no clue what to do. Any advice appreciated!! Kelly
Wow, Kelly, this is certainly one problem I have not read about here on AudiWorld in the year since joining .

First thought that came to my mind is: Befriend some cats and have 'em hang around your car .

Second thought, same price . Do you keep anything in the car that may be attracting them? Sweet smelling air fresheners, candy, etc.

I'm gonna keep an eye on your thread for any future developments.

Good Luck!

Garry
Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for reading and responding. I'm sure there are some feral cats around the neighborhood, but I haven't lured any specifically to live in my parking lot As for the car -- the interior is spick and span. No food, no coffee cups, no wrappers. Nothing. I don't eat in the car as a rule, so there's nothing attracting them to it. Knock on wood, they've only gotten into the engine and have not made it into the actual cab of the car itself.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You're not the first it seems!

Look what I found: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7105626AAYc7FU

...and http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf32563890.tip.html

...and http://tasty.typepad.com/

You may find some useful tips like getting an engine wash for starters.

Garry

Last edited by Old Dog; 11-30-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rodents

Originally Posted by kellycan1
Thanks for reading and responding. I'm sure there are some feral cats around the neighborhood, but I haven't lured any specifically to live in my parking lot As for the car -- the interior is spick and span. No food, no coffee cups, no wrappers. Nothing. I don't eat in the car as a rule, so there's nothing attracting them to it. Knock on wood, they've only gotten into the engine and have not made it into the actual cab of the car itself.
nothing new unfortunately, we see it very often but surprisingly enough never twice on the same car
so this may just been one time issue and nothing to worry about, they are attracted by the engine's heat not food smell.
it could be worse, we find even bigger animals in there and sometimes they don't make it out of there when the engine is fired up and is grossly graphic situation,
However they can't make it into the cabin unless you leave a window or door open because the cabin filter is there, in the old days we used to see them jump out of the glove box when you opened.
hope you don't see it again

Last edited by s4master1; 11-30-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your messages. Unfortunately, this is the third time I have had rodent damage to the wiring in the past 8 weeks.

I've tried a lot of homegrown remedies and will try to find someone to do an engine cleaning. I certainly don't feel adept enough to do anything under the hood. Sadly, if this keeps occuring, the only "real" solutions may be buying a new car, renting a garage (though the closest is a few miles from my residence, so not exactly convenient), parking on the street, or moving.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor

Hello from Rid-A-Rat!
Are you having issues with rats chewing on your expensive wires?? We have a solution for that very problem. We have created a device which after being installed, will keep any kind of chewing critter out of your engine area. You simply read the directions and install!
The product is guaranteed money back with no questions asked! Why not give us a call- 480-488-6820 or check out our web page at Rid-A-Rat.com.