A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Would you change this timing belt?

Old 04-04-2019, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you change this timing belt?

Got this car from my neighbor, 2003 A4 1.8t Quattro with 130k miles. Asked him if the timing belt had been done and he said no, but he's only had it 3 years so it could've been changed before he got it. The belt that's in it is an Audi belt and looks really good I would have a hard time believing it's 13 years old but who knows. I've got a new belt, water pump etc here from ECS and I could change it out pretty quick since I'm down to it but my only concern was replacing a good factory belt with an aftermarket when there's nothing wrong with the current one. Only sticker I found said campaign completion and doesn't look like a timing belt replacement sticker, can't read it but doesn't list miles. I'll probably change it just because I'm this far into it, although I had to change the thermostat too.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgot to mention looks like someone painted the timing mark so I'm guessing it's been done.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I would replace it because a failure could be catastrophic
Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My 2 cents. Looks pretty new. The print usually wears off over time. What is the history and what date shows on the yellow label?

But, if you have any doubt, as kevin says, replace...
Old 04-08-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
My 2 cents. Looks pretty new. The print usually wears off over time. What is the history and what date shows on the yellow label?

But, if you have any doubt, as kevin says, replace...
The neighbor has had the car for 3 - 4 years and I asked him if the timing belt had been done and he said no. The sticker isn't legible and has no place for mileage so I doubt it's for the timing belt. The belt did look very good and may have been changed before the neighbor got it, but either way I did change it out and the water pump and tensioner as well since I had it torn down this far figured might as well, and now I have a water pump with a steel impeller and no worries for awhile.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Good decision
Old 04-11-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar question, hope this is not a thread hijack.

I'm considering this car:
2004 A4Q 1.8. 160k miles. Tip.
Car looks to be in great shape. Have not seen in person yet.
Current owner owned only since December 2018.
Says he does not know if TB+WP have been done but he's "owned several Audis and never had an issue" with TB+WP.
Repair and maint list implies its been well cared for - new throttle body, turbo cleaned and rebuilt, new vac lines, many new sensors in his ownership.

Have owned Audis with 2.8 (B5, C5), and 4.2 (D1, D2) and have done TB+WP on all that I owned more than 40k miles. (Also had cars with 3.2 engine but ... chain).

Never had a 1.8 on any Audi or the 4 VWs I had.

I've heard of TBs on this era Audi/VW breaking at as low as 45k miles.

If all else is perfect but this piece is unknown, would you buy? What else would you do to learn more (besides a Carfax, which I will get).

All comments welcome.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sieben
Similar question, hope this is not a thread hijack.

I'm considering this car:
2004 A4Q 1.8. 160k miles. Tip.
Car looks to be in great shape. Have not seen in person yet.
Current owner owned only since December 2018.
Says he does not know if TB+WP have been done but he's "owned several Audis and never had an issue" with TB+WP.
Repair and maint list implies its been well cared for - new throttle body, turbo cleaned and rebuilt, new vac lines, many new sensors in his ownership.

Have owned Audis with 2.8 (B5, C5), and 4.2 (D1, D2) and have done TB+WP on all that I owned more than 40k miles. (Also had cars with 3.2 engine but ... chain).

Never had a 1.8 on any Audi or the 4 VWs I had.

I've heard of TBs on this era Audi/VW breaking at as low as 45k miles.

If all else is perfect but this piece is unknown, would you buy? What else would you do to learn more (besides a Carfax, which I will get).

All comments welcome.

Thanks.
If the car was otherwise perfect I wouldn't let the timing belt stop you. I've done several timing belts on vehicles over the years and the 1.8t was the easiest. If you don't do it yourself find out what your shop will charge and just figure that's an expense you'll have if you buy the car.
The following users liked this post:
audiyadosir (10-11-2021)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agree. If you aren't sure, go ahead and do the timing belt. I've done this before and it wasn't bad at all. Most replacement kits for this should include the water pump.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So something to be aware of is that the belt can be brand new and hydraulic tensioner fails causing the timing belt to become loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you change this timing belt?