A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

06 A4 2.0T quattro Timing Chain broke - need info and help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 A4 2.0T quattro Timing Chain broke - need info and help

Hello,my brother owns a 2006 2.0 Turbo Quattro. He was driving along and lost all power. Got it towed to the Audi dealer and they said it was the "timing chain" not timing belt.
The chain in the rear that keeps the cams in time.

We towed it back to Houston and I opened it up tonight.
It is broke for sure. It broke the rear cover also.
I called the dealer and asked what might have done this and they said, possibly the oil pump shaft tip might have broken off???

I am having to fix this for my brother. He does not have the money the dealer told him it would cost so... I am helping him as much as I can. I am handy with tools (actually used to be a mechanic) so I am going to attempt this myself.

Can anyone give me some links or anything like that for removing the motor and possibly what is back there?
I am think I need a shop manual. One the dealers have, where can I get one and which one is best?
He has about 120,000 miles on the car, so would it be cheap and better to get a salvage motor with 60,000 or less miles?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anybody have any info for me at all???
Please!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are very few people on these Audi forums that have any technical idea of these cars. Your best bet will be to get the manual (good luck finding it on anything but a CD-ROM), and just getting to it. These motors are well designed and not too bad to work on as long as you have the various specialized tools. Good luck to you and maybe someone will be able to chime in with some data from their experience....
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for your reply!!!
I talked with a Audi VW shop and parts supplier is San Fransisco. They have been able to tell me what I need to do.

Basically I need to get the head off and see if the driver side values were bent. They said they probably will be. At that point I need to detiremine (have someone look at) if they head was affected and if they pistons are okay. This will determine if my brother needs to get a new head ($1400.00 from the shop) or a longblock motor (almost $4000.00).

If this isn't right please let me know.

Who would I contact on the board that are technical guru's for these cars?
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by j.wilson
Thank you for your reply!!!
I talked with a Audi VW shop and parts supplier is San Fransisco. They have been able to tell me what I need to do.

Basically I need to get the head off and see if the driver side values were bent. They said they probably will be. At that point I need to detiremine (have someone look at) if they head was affected and if they pistons are okay. This will determine if my brother needs to get a new head ($1400.00 from the shop) or a longblock motor (almost $4000.00).

If this isn't right please let me know.

Who would I contact on the board that are technical guru's for these cars?
Hopefully this picture can help some..

You'll definitely want to check the head and pistons out to see what damage you've got. Very likely you'll have some damage if that chain did indeed break.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You may want to get your hands on a service manual. A source that I use for parts is www.car-parts.com. You should be able to find a good used head or even an engine at a decent price.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This helps a lot!!!
The chain for sure broke. The housing in the back is cracked and were the bolt go into the head, the head side bolt holes are broken. There are chunks of metal I have been pulling out from the bottom of the car where the plastic air dams are.

I am going to pull the motor out some time next week and would like to know if there are any gotcha's I need to be careful of?

I have found http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/ online.
Does anyone have any positive or negative about this company?
After reading a lot, from what is being said here and talking to a couple dealerships, I am planning on getting a long block.
That company has new ones for $3650.00. Is that a good price? Can anyone point me to a better or cheaper supplier?

Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Shop Manual

This helps a lot!!!
The chain for sure broke. The housing in the back is cracked and were the bolt go into the head, the head side bolt holes are broken. There are chunks of metal I have been pulling out from the bottom of the car where the plastic air dams are.

I am going to pull the motor out some time next week and would like to know if there are any gotcha's I need to be careful of?

I have found http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/ online.
Does anyone have any positive or negative about this company?
After reading a lot, from what is being said here and talking to a couple dealerships, I am planning on getting a long block.
That company has new ones for $3650.00. Is that a good price? Can anyone point me to a better or cheaper supplier?

Thanks again!

I know that this is an old post - but yesterday my timing chain also broke and I am thinking I will do the work myself - that being said it is at a shop right now figuring out exactly what is wrong with it. Did you fix the car? Did you do it / have someone else do it? What did you replace and what was the total cost?

As far as a shop manual - alldatadiy.com is well worth the 19 dollar/year or 30/year subscription fee i believe - that will tell you how to fix anything/everything on your car with diagrams...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pdhawley
I know that this is an old post - but yesterday my timing chain also broke and I am thinking I will do the work myself - that being said it is at a shop right now figuring out exactly what is wrong with it. Did you fix the car? Did you do it / have someone else do it? What did you replace and what was the total cost?

As far as a shop manual - alldatadiy.com is well worth the 19 dollar/year or 30/year subscription fee i believe - that will tell you how to fix anything/everything on your car with diagrams...
Hi, I did it myself and it is very easy if you stay organized. The hardest part for me was that damn front bumper.
I replaced the engine with a long block. It is the same one the VW has so I didn't need to spend the premium that Audi charges. There is a shop in San Fransico that sells them and heads, they are an Audi, VW and Mercedes shop.
I went this route because, the engine had just over 120,000 miles on it and just changing the head would have caused issues in my opinion. When you have a high milage engine (a turbo one at that) that gets driven the way it was made to be driven and you put new parts on the top end or the bottom end then the worn out part that are not new will soon fail. In my experience this is what happens and since my brother wanted to keep the car for a long time we felt this was the best route for him. It gave him an opportunity to do a couple upgrades while I was doing it!!!
In total it cost about 5K. Including all the special tools, gaskets, long block, fluids and beer as my payment (lots of beer) .

Hope this helps you.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 06 A4 2.0T quattro Timing Chain broke - need info and help

...It gave him an opportunity to do a couple upgrades while I was doing it!!!
In total it cost about 5K. Including all the special tools, gaskets, long block, fluids and beer as my payment (lots of beer) .

Hope this helps you.
Good beer - $30 a case; a newly installed engine - $5,000; bonding with your brother - priceless .

Good job Mr. Wilson .

Quick Reply: 06 A4 2.0T quattro Timing Chain broke - need info and help