A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

07 A4 cluster in safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 A4 cluster in safe mode

Hey guys i have 2007 a4 2.0t and have activated safe mode where it starts and stalls. The cluster reads SAFE in the odo line.
I was removing a smart start system by viper alarm system, it was installed when i bought it and i was unaware until i found an antenna by my rear view mirror.
Found another key taped up and wrapped 2 wires going up and around the reed coil where the key goes in the ignition. I started by removing the fuses and all connectors going the aftermarket boxes added by this system, verified it still starts. removed the key found all wrapped up, and started the car with it, ok cool, new key that works. tried my regular key, car starts. i cut the wires added to the factory ignition switch wires, (these were all soldered inline, normally its all but connected or tap spliced)
I was verifying it still starts every step i was removing, after cutting the wires added to the ignition, Now its in safe mode. i have the wires cut soldered back in and still them same. Ive tried battery disconnect and touch them together. i have VCDS from my work here now, playing with it.
I have tried many procedures with my regular key and the 2 key method with my newly found key but i am unable to get SAFE out of the cluster.
I haven't found much info on B7 cars getting out of safe mode, called a couple local vw audi locksmiths and they cant do 05 and up audis.

I am a mechanic at an independent repair shop and work on these cars often and am fairly familiar with VCDS and had my fair share of vw and audis just not this new (2007).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Nick
Old 04-22-2018, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recently bought this car on CL needing an auto Transmission and trans cooler. Replaced both and did a timing belt and water pump service and tstat, valve cover gasket and plugs. 80k with a rebuilt title. 4 weeks ago just got it passed emissions and got plates and tabs. just tried to remove the aftermarket crap underneath and now this happens lol. not sure if I'm able to get this out of SAFE mode or not.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

The codes in the console now disagree with the codes in the key for some reason you will likely need new crystals for the keys and need to get them recoded.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

-FIXED-
Did a Batt. disconnect for 3 days while working on other cars around. Reconnected the Batt and turned the key on only (without tring to start it), Cluster went right into SAFE again. Pulled codes with vcds in the immo and cluster and found a
-Induction coil pick up- code. i cant remember the #.
wires looked ok where i was working around the back of the ignition sw. I found a diagram for coil pick up sensor (ring around key) back to the cluster connector.
pulled the cluster out and ohm checked the 2 wires and found the green one broken in the main harness.
soldered it up and good to go!
I must have tugged on those 2 wires (twisted and taped separately) pretty hard or something to break one. oh well worse has happened.
Thanks nick