A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro automatic/ oil consumption / black exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro automatic/ oil consumption / black exhaust

Hello there,

Hoping I can get some guidance as to what I might be facing with these issues.

I have recently purchased an A4 2T Quattro 2007, 63,000miles. It burned a quart of oil in 580 miles and I can't get the dealer to tell me if it is normal, they want to run an "oil consumption test".
I have read a few comments about the high oil consumption but nothing specific as to what is really normal for this cars.

There is also an issue with acceleration, going up hill from a stop position usually merging from an exit. Not always but most of the times I get a black smoke from the exhaust (if accelerating somewhat hard) until I get to the top of the hill and some rattling noise as well.

Interesting enough if I time it right (speed wise) I can get away from the same situation without the smoke.No engine light on or anything like that,the car runs great otherwise.

Any ideas or familiarity with these issues?
Something to worry about and waste a visit to the dealer?
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazara
I have recently purchased an A4 2T Quattro 2007, 63,000miles. It burned a quart of oil in 580 miles and I can't get the dealer to tell me if it is normal, they want to run an "oil consumption test".
I have read a few comments about the high oil consumption but nothing specific as to what is really normal for this car.
During the three years I had my 2007 A4 2.0TQ it burned about a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. Other members burned next to nothing they said. However, burning a quart in 580 miles is way too much. Maybe when you took possession of the car the oil level was alreay low. This happened to me. Mine was a CPO and had it a week or two when the oil light came on. I was shocked to say the least. Turns out they never topped it up before delivering it to me.

Hopefully this is your case.

Good Luck
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi I have the same problem with the black smoke and now it has turned in a bigger issue when I can't accelerate properly lucky if I get to 35 going up a hill any clue whats wrong? audi a4 quattro 2.0
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazara
Hello there,

Hoping I can get some guidance as to what I might be facing with these issues.

I have read a few comments about the high oil consumption but nothing specific as to what is really normal for this cars.

There is also an issue with acceleration, going up hill from a stop position usually merging from an exit. Not always but most of the times I get a black smoke from the exhaust (if accelerating somewhat hard) until I get to the top of the hill and some rattling noise as well.

Interesting enough if I time it right (speed wise) I can get away from the same situation without the smoke.No engine light on or anything like that,the car runs great otherwise.

Any ideas or familiarity with these issues?
Something to worry about and waste a visit to the dealer?
Thanks!
Have the dealer do the consumption test. The Audi book says that a 1000 miles per quart is considered within Audi's acceptable range. Our experience with a 24K miles cay was 1 quart every 1500miles. They all use oil regardless of what anyone says. It is the nature of the turbo to do so. 500 miles is no go.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Have the dealer do the consumption test. The Audi book says that a 1000 miles per quart is considered within Audi's acceptable range. Our experience with a 24K miles cay was 1 quart every 1500miles. They all use oil regardless of what anyone says. It is the nature of the turbo to do so. 500 miles is no go.
I have owned a 2007 A4 Avant Quattro which I purchased brand new and it now has 67K miles. Ever since owning the car it has been consuming more and more oil which I was always told was the nature of a turbo. Anyway, I finally had an oil consumption test performed which showed 1 qt/500 miles. We also had black smoke and intermittent poor acceleration which no one could explain. First they replaced the piston rings which didn't help then they replaced the turbocharger which also didn't fix the problem. Finally, Audi measured the cylinders and found they were out of spec and too large for the pistons. Now we are getting a brand new engine. We love our Audi otherwise and even though we have had to jump through numerous hoops over the past several months Audi has been very responsive.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the dealer i got mine from contacted me about the issue and replaced some tubes and hoses going to the turbo. ill keep watching it to see if mine keeps eating oil.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default frankdt

I have reserched the 2007 2.0 turbo oil consumption issue thoroughly, as my wife bought a 2007 A4 2.0 quattro CPO with 6,900 miles on it in 2009. The car now has 48,900 miles on it, with less than three months left on the CPO warranty.

There is no doubt Audi has a serious problem with several years of the 1.8 and 2.0 turbos. 2009 is apparently the worst,and the problem may be fixed by now. However, turbochargers on consumer cars are problematic, vs superchargers, as the turbo's bearings have hot exhaust on one side, and cold air on the other. Part of the overall fix for 2013 include an 8 speed auto gearbox, which limits the use of the turbo in the course of everyday driving. As in 1800 rpms at 70mph. Less turbo use, less opportunity for problems.

Anyway, Audi has produced so many of these engines, many with issues, others perhaps not. However, the cost to the corporation to "come clean" and admit a problem would be ruinous. Billions of $. As a result, they have what might be called a "squeaky wheel" program. Those who are in warranty and are vocal (but nice) about the issue, are more likely to received some sort of meaningful effort by Audi to fix it. Whether that be a ring job, valves, bearings, whatever. GM had a similr type of problem with the Olds Omega (and similar new fwd models) w/manual transmission. It was only years later that their "secret" warranty progam became public knowledge. I had my shifting gear and some gears changed 3 times in 10,000 mi.
Sadly, Audi has taken a similar tack. However, those who mention the widespread 'net coverage of the issue, and are under warranty will get some updates. But more importantly, Audii will do an oil consumption test in which they actually weigh the oil they put into the car, then have the customer return it after 1000KM (630 mi). Asumming one's car is still under some sort of warranty, the outcome will depend on the measured oil consumption by weight. Depending on the consumption, and that number appears to be 1qt/900 miles to reach the minimum hurdle for say, a ring job, with more work suggested if the consumption is higher, then Audi will take the car in and work on it.
This of course does not take care of potential lost resale value due to the consumption issue and the expensive fixes likely for downstream owners. Note that Toyota recently had to pay a $1 billion settlement to reimburse owners for lost resale value due to a throttle control issue common to one model.
The take-aways are 1) if you are in warranty, you probably want poor oil consumption in order to get a free fix while you can, and 2) the parts being used for the repair may not be any different than those originally put in the engine, and 3) really track that oil consumption carefully and 4) make (gracious) noise at the dealer.
For those out of warranty, try to find a class action lawsuit to join. Best of luck to all.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by frankdt
I have reserched the 2007 2.0 turbo oil consumption issue thoroughly, as my wife bought a 2007 A4 2.0 quattro CPO with 6,900 miles on it in 2009. The car now has 48,900 miles on it, with less than three months left on the CPO warranty.

There is no doubt Audi has a serious problem with several years of the 1.8 and 2.0 turbos. 2009 is apparently the worst,and the problem may be fixed by now. However, turbochargers on consumer cars are problematic, vs superchargers, as the turbo's bearings have hot exhaust on one side, and cold air on the other. Part of the overall fix for 2013 include an 8 speed auto gearbox, which limits the use of the turbo in the course of everyday driving. As in 1800 rpms at 70mph. Less turbo use, less opportunity for problems.

Anyway, Audi has produced so many of these engines, many with issues, others perhaps not. However, the cost to the corporation to "come clean" and admit a problem would be ruinous. Billions of $. As a result, they have what might be called a "squeaky wheel" program. Those who are in warranty and are vocal (but nice) about the issue, are more likely to received some sort of meaningful effort by Audi to fix it. Whether that be a ring job, valves, bearings, whatever. GM had a similr type of problem with the Olds Omega (and similar new fwd models) w/manual transmission. It was only years later that their "secret" warranty progam became public knowledge. I had my shifting gear and some gears changed 3 times in 10,000 mi.
Sadly, Audi has taken a similar tack. However, those who mention the widespread 'net coverage of the issue, and are under warranty will get some updates. But more importantly, Audii will do an oil consumption test in which they actually weigh the oil they put into the car, then have the customer return it after 1000KM (630 mi). Asumming one's car is still under some sort of warranty, the outcome will depend on the measured oil consumption by weight. Depending on the consumption, and that number appears to be 1qt/900 miles to reach the minimum hurdle for say, a ring job, with more work suggested if the consumption is higher, then Audi will take the car in and work on it.
This of course does not take care of potential lost resale value due to the consumption issue and the expensive fixes likely for downstream owners. Note that Toyota recently had to pay a $1 billion settlement to reimburse owners for lost resale value due to a throttle control issue common to one model.
The take-aways are 1) if you are in warranty, you probably want poor oil consumption in order to get a free fix while you can, and 2) the parts being used for the repair may not be any different than those originally put in the engine, and 3) really track that oil consumption carefully and 4) make (gracious) noise at the dealer.
For those out of warranty, try to find a class action lawsuit to join. Best of luck to all.

The dealer kept giving me the run around.i was dumping a quart every 800 miles just got progressively worse. all they kept saying is its Normal. hell i have a 12 year old mustang with 120k and it doesn't burn a drop. i Got rid of the car. sick of wondering if it is eating oil after a tank of gas.