A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

A4 PRNDS-False Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 PRNDS-False Neutral

Hello, I have a 2006 A4 S-line with the 2.0t autotrans.. I have close to 80k miles on the car and been having issues.

Lost fuel pressure, jerky acceleration, over heating, infamous blinking PRNDS, shifting into drive or sport and get neutral.

I have found multiple problems digging into this. The HPFP cam follower was completely destroyed, hole thru the center..So pulled the head to get to the rear of the head and try to fish pieces out of it and did a valve job while it was out, resurfaced, and put back together. Found a lot of build up in the intake so I got a new intake as well as the runners. Replaced the fuel injectors. The lower rad hose was leaking, I ended up replacing the radiator and all the hoses.

While I had the head out for the rebuild, I opened up the trans and pulled the TCM out to send out for repair (thinking this would fix the PRNDS since I had the code for it).. repair shop said nothing was wrong with the TCM..So that was fun. Next I read that it could be the connection on the shifter board itself, that the magnet doesnt line up to the specific gear. So I bought a new shifter assembly from Audi (not cheap) and put that thing in hope it will fix the issue.

Once I had the car back together, first start up sounded promising. Got to temp and then I put the car in reverse. Worked perfectly. Threw it in Drive and got about 5 feet and then the engine just rev'd..as it did before..put it back in reverse, which still worked great and had to back up into the drive way. Now I am stuck... I have read that it could be the torque converter or the transmission itself.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions I could try?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Torque converter for sure :/
Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dwrich21
Torque converter for sure :/
Dwrich21

So I called Audi for the PN of the converter...they said I don't have a converter in this car since it is a CVT.. I didn't know this. SO, looks like I need to do a rebuild or replace the trans ?
Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Aud4u
Hello, I have a 2006 A4 S-line with the 2.0t autotrans.. I have close to 80k miles on the car and been having issues.

Lost fuel pressure, jerky acceleration, over heating, infamous blinking PRNDS, shifting into drive or sport and get neutral.

I have found multiple problems digging into this. The HPFP cam follower was completely destroyed, hole thru the center..So pulled the head to get to the rear of the head and try to fish pieces out of it and did a valve job while it was out, resurfaced, and put back together. Found a lot of build up in the intake so I got a new intake as well as the runners. Replaced the fuel injectors. The lower rad hose was leaking, I ended up replacing the radiator and all the hoses.

While I had the head out for the rebuild, I opened up the trans and pulled the TCM out to send out for repair (thinking this would fix the PRNDS since I had the code for it).. repair shop said nothing was wrong with the TCM..So that was fun. Next I read that it could be the connection on the shifter board itself, that the magnet doesnt line up to the specific gear. So I bought a new shifter assembly from Audi (not cheap) and put that thing in hope it will fix the issue.

Once I had the car back together, first start up sounded promising. Got to temp and then I put the car in reverse. Worked perfectly. Threw it in Drive and got about 5 feet and then the engine just rev'd..as it did before..put it back in reverse, which still worked great and had to back up into the drive way. Now I am stuck... I have read that it could be the torque converter or the transmission itself.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions I could try?

Thanks for the help!
I had the same problem with the blinking of PRNDS. What solved it was a new TCM as for the 3.2L the park neutral switch was bad. So far, she purrrrs.