A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Adding XM radio to A4 B7 Avant with Nav+

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding XM radio to A4 B7 Avant with Nav+

Hey gang,

I've connected XM 8E0 035 595 E to my factory Nav+ system. So I click on Satellite radio and give me some garbage saying that adding satellite radio is a simple add-on and to contact my Audi dealership.

I took a look at the can bus to see if I need to move it over one... but there's no plug to move it over to.

I was wondering, do I need to use the VAG tool to get it noticed by the Nav+?

Any help would be great.

P.S. my audi Canadian 2006 B7 Avant with Nav+ (without XM from the factory), if that means anything
Old 12-18-2005, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IMHO....

between 6 cd's.....2 memory sticks and the regular radio...I just dont see the need for XM....I thought I was going to get XM after I got my car but at this pointit's useless.....yes there are advantages to it vs. regular radio but with the rest of the stuff to listen to I just dont find any need for it. I'm not an audiophile though...so your experience may vary...
Old 12-18-2005, 05:39 PM

Default I do like the selections on XM but I have to say....

the quality of sound is less than I'd expect and that's with the Bose system... Seems the highs and lows suffer on XM compared to CD. MP3 and even FM radio... Wondering what the specs are on XM comared to other sources... Anyone know?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I do like the selections on XM but I have to say....

I'm no audiophile either, but I would agree with your sound quality assessment of XM. This is a VERY subjective area though. I have friends who think their Itrip sounds just fine. "How can they think that?" I say to myself. I'm sure others say the same about me when I say XM sounds fine.

I'm not one of these people who can tell the differnce between the "warmth" of an LP and the sterile sounds of a CD. In my mind, CDs are at the far end of the sound quality scale. If CDs are a 10, and FM radio is a 9 (and I give it a 9 only because of occasional static, not because of the normal sound, which I THINK has the same, or even better, dynamic range as a CD), I'd give Sat a 7 or an 8, and an Itrip a 3.

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but I recall reading in a tech column in Newsweek a few months ago that Sat sound is compromised by the compression they use to fit so many channels into the feed. I don't recall the details, but I think it might have been Gary Krakow's column (may have the name wrong, but it is close to this). I think they cut just a little off the high and low end, which few people can hear, and end up saving tons of bandwidth (80/20 rule kind of thing). I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous here, as I'm sure someone with a trunk full of amps, pre-amps, and subs will point out!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Diff stations seem to..............

sound better than others as well.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Adding XM radio to A4 B7 Avant with Nav+

It looks like I was having a blonde moment... I was looking at the wrong side... I opened up the driver's side... and not the passenger side...

Hahaha... I got it to work.