A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

advice on waxing

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on waxing

okay, i know some of you don't like zymol....but i have zymol cream wax i ordered a few months ago from their web site and will be waxing my baby for the first time in a few days. My question is of the noob type. Prior to waxing her, what should I do? I have zymol clear that I use to clean the car on a bi-weekly(if not weekly) basis which I am happy with. However, one of my friends has said I should use a type of dish detergent to clean her before waxing to remove old wax. Is this safe to use and what do you guys use? When I ordered my wax from zymol, I also ordered HD cleanse which is used to remove old and clean the paint but thats going to take forever since it already takes my a good 1.5 to 2 hrs to wash her anyway. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wax on. Wax off.

Just kidding. Yeah, I think you can use any type of dish detergent to get the old wax off, but you might want to try asking this in the detailing forum.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: advice on waxing

Ditto the detailing forum comment. I checked it out a few weeks ago, and all I can say is those guys know their stuff. I thought I was **** about keeping my car clean, but... I could spend HOURS in there reading everything.

I will say that everyone seems consistent on that forum about using Dawn dish detergent, and I always assumed it was to remove old wax, because they don't recommend it as a car wash -- just as a prep before waxing. I think Dawn is known as a serious solvent.

I've never used it, though I have clayed older cars before waxing when they have gotten bad. If your B7 is like mine (4 mos old), I doubt it needs clay, and I'm not even sure if the factory/dealer puts wax on it (though it sure beads water like they do). Also, I think some waxes, like carnauba, are ok to put on even over old carnauba wax (the more the better/deeper I think), while others (synthetics) can look hazy, but I could have this backwards, or just plain wrong.

Finally, that HD cleanse stuff is I THINK a mild abrasive, and should not be needed. As new as your car is, a good coat of wax is all she should need (and all I plan to put on mine this weekend!). I hate to polish (i.e., remove layers of anything) unless I absolutely have to.

Let us know how it goes, and take some pictures!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default this is what i do....

use Klasse AIO ... it leaves the car with a deep, brilliant shine but also has paint cleanser in it so it helps remove the wax from the last application and serves as a great base coat to be sealed in with the wax of your choice

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/857353.phtml">my process</a>
Old 04-21-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Here's the routine I used today and it works!

I just detailed my white 2.0T today, and it looks amazing!!!!!

Dawn wash
Clay (do it! it makes all the difference...)
Wash again
Meguiars Scratch X in certain spots
Klasse AIO
(a good wax is only necessary for darker cars in need of that deep shine. AIO will protect for 6-8 months)

Took me forever, but it was worth it!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default you shouldn't really need to clay your car very often

and usually when i need to it's only in spots definitely not the whole car
Old 04-21-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: you shouldn't really need to clay your car very often

Yeah, I've had the problem with all my cars down here though. Lots of sand in the paint on the rear, and rail dust.

I won't do it again for a long time, but it was worth it...
Old 04-21-2006, 02:01 PM

Default thanks a lot

thanks all, will def take pics when I'm finished, actually excited to get started but i know when my arms are ready to fall off i won't feel the same way, LOL
Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Here you go...

Look through the replies as well.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/42142.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/42142.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-22-2006, 12:05 AM

Default My so-called routine

-Clean wheels
-Wash/ rinse car (Regular car shampoo + two soft mitts: one for lower portions of car, another for the rest.)
-Clay (spot clay with car wet)
-Re-wash areas that were clayed
-Sheet-rinse (nozzle off hose)
-Dry with waffle-weave towels + microfiber on nooks and crannies, door jambs, underside of hood/ trunk, etc.
-Menzerna Intensive Polish (as/ if needed)
-Menzerna Final Polish
-Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze
-Menzerna FMJ (1-2 coats)(can be a good idea to finish with one coat at end of day, park overnight, then do a second coat on the following morning)
-303 Aerospace Protectant on exterior rubber and plastic (i.e. light covers)

Yep, it's a lot of work. I'm not the world's best detailer by a long shot, but it looks pretty damn good, at least to me.

(And the detailing forum here is excellent. Other than limiting myself to spot claying -- they tend to clay everything all of the time -- I learned all of this stuff from them.)