A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Aftermarket Navigation System?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Navigation System?

Hello all. I bought my 2005.5 A4 2.0T a few months ago, and at the time of purchase, I didn't think I would ever need a navigation system, so naturally, I did not get one. Well, I recently got a new job, and figures...I now need a navigation system. I know dealers can't install the factory one because they say that the Audi Nav system only comes installed as an option.
Is there any way to purchase the head unit separately and have the dealer install it? Or would I be better off just going to my local audio shop and have them install something after market for me? It's just that I was hoping to keep the look as close to factory as possible and I wanted to be able to use the bottons on my steering wheel as well....
Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can retrofit Navi for under $2K -- www.navplus.us

They put US firmware upgrades into European nav units. They provide all the adapters/tools necessary to replace your Symphony II with a genuine RNS-E. You need a Vagcom to activate the driver display.

I'm looking at hardwiring my Garmin Quest as well. Depending on the model, you can get a Quest for $350-600. If you're handy, you can hardwire it for next to nothing. Seems to be the most powerful windshield-mounted unit -- makes the little touchscreen Streetpilots and Tom Toms seem like toys. A good choice if you don't like sticking things to your dash.

Email me if you want to get a Quest. I'll tell you what you need to buy to do it right.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Dumb it down PLEASE

How can i remove my sound system now and install a nav system

I saw this link
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462
but i dont know if he's explaining the nav system to explaining how to install it.

If I take the sound system out do i still have my cd changer?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:51 PM

...and does having Bose change anything?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Register on that board and post questions there.

They have procedures for modifying European nav units to work in US cars. I have no idea where they get the units.

They sell all the cables and adapters, including an under-dash antenna. They even sell the tool for removing your radio.

Sounds like it's compatible with all 2002+ A4s with the in-dash 6-disc changer. Including Bose.

It's all plug and play EXCEPT you need a Vagcom to turn on the navigation cues on the driver's display. It'll work without the Vagcom, but you won't get the driver's display.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Get a Garmin 2610 and be done with it!

Look on eBay for a used Garmin 2610.
It's about 2 years old...but

That's the only GPS you'll ever need for about $500.

The best part is that it's portable (but the very sturdy, heavy, bean bag-like base "mounts" on the dash and feels like it's part of the car)and you can throw it in the next car (spouse's , friends, etc..) and take off w/ Nav! I move it from car to car all the time.

CD updateable, voice turn by turn, zoom, remote control (!)..amd much more.

Why pay FOUR TIMES MORE ($2000) for Nav you can't take w/ you?

I once wrote on the forum about how great it is to be able to move this GPS from car to car.
My post fell on deaf ears. (or is it blind eyes?)

One you experience the Garmin 2610, all built-in GPS systems seem silly - really.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is a killer GPS if you don't mind having it on your dash.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: It is a killer GPS if you don't mind having it on your dash.

True, but take it from someone that's used it for 2 years. Having it on the dash is perfectly fine. It's not awkward at all.

Only people that have never used one may think: "Oh, I can't have something on my dash!"

The benefits (including KEEPING the extra $1500 you'll save) are amazing.

After you guys get your Garmin 2610, please write back here and discuss you happiness.

Jim
Old 12-27-2005, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's just a long reach. Putting the Quest next to the rear-view mirror has been a champ!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Agreed...the Garmin stuff is nice...

...I've got a Garmin USB GPS antenna for my laptop. While not quite as easy to use [while driving] as a built in Nav system, it is more powerful, totally portable, and cost's about $100 [assuming you've already got the laptop].

I'd like to have the factory Nav system, but for $2000 I just couldn't justify it...still can't. I'd say the factory system is worth $600-700 max. Frankly, it wouldn't be worth much more than half of that if it weren't for the good level of vehicle integration and clean look that the stock Nav provides.

-Steve

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Navigation System?