A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Audi A4 B7 Rough Idle

Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 B7 Rough Idle

I have a 2006 Audi A4 Quattro 6 speed manual that I bought this past summer from a guy who managed to put 160k on the clock before the timing belt snapped and annihilated the entire intake side of the head. Long story short, the intake cam has been replaced, all intake valves, all valve seals, crank gear, timing belt, water pump... I put the head on with ARP head studs, serviced all fluids to spec with recommended fluids yada yada yada.

Well when I went to crank it after the head rebuild, it was ticking extremely loud and running rough. The ticking was narrowed down to the cam follower to the HPFP. I replaced that but still having idle problems. It's been single digit temperatures here in NC for the past few days but I doubt that has anything to do with my problem. So, I noticed that unplugging the MAF sensor the car ran slightly better. Car threw CEL as expected. Replaced MAF today with no luck. Only no CEL now. Car still runs rough but only below 2000 RPM. I also replaced all 4 coils and spark plugs with no luck as well. I have no CEL and no code reader at the moment.

My timing is dead on, new MAF sensor, I've got good fuel, I've got oil and coolant (gauges say check oil and coolant maybe due to not having the battery hooked up for a couple of months?), I can hear the throttle ticking when the key is switched on... I'm not sure what else to check at this point. I'm moving to Hawaii in the next few weeks for work and wanting to take this car. Any help or recommendations appreciated. Thanks