A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Audi A4 vs. BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Audi A4 vs. BMW

This week I had two rides in 3 Series BMW's that made me think about my decision to get my 06 A4 2.0TQ Tip. First, my neighbor picked me up at the commuter train station Tues PM in his 06 BMW 325 - I didn't like anything about it (reminded me of my reaction when I checked them out at dealers over the summer before getting the Audi). Then, last night I went to dinner with a friend who drove me around Manhattan to two bars, the restaurant, then to Grand Central to get my train home at 11:00 PM in his 04 BMW M3 convert. That was a totally different experience. I was with him the day he picked it up brand new, and 55,000 miles later it is a great, solid car. The dash reminds me so much of my A4's - very German looking. The car itself still has doors that slam like a bank vault, no rattles anywhere, rocket sled acceleration and QUALITY in abundance. My bud has an 05 X3 for when he goes to the snow country but prefers the M3 and drives it in the City every day and to his house in Montauk every weekend, and it is holding up so well. Comparing the two Bimmers back to back makes me wonder if that company is going down the wrong path with their latest generation products that to me seem flimsy and a step down. Anyone agree or not? BTW - the decision to get the A4 was the correct one for me, since the BMW 325 just doesn't compare IMHO.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Audi A4 vs. BMW

I came from an M3 to the 2.0T avant. Power is not even comparable but quality is. I had 2 B5 A4's, a 2.8 and a 1.8T that was pretty modified. I would have to say my experience with Audi has been fantastic over the years where my BMW experience lasted 6 months and was not too great. The M3 was a fun car and fast, but not very practical and was in the shop a decent amount. I think the new BMW's aren't anything to rave about unless it has an M infront of it. Where all range of Audi's still have some pizass.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 AM

The M3 really isn't that fast.

Granted, it's faster than the 2.0T, but not "fast".

It is however, ON RAILS when it comes to handling.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Granted - "rocket sled" was an overtatement and at a drag strip it is not fast. But, getting slammed into the seat back at every traffic light and when traversing the huge bumps and pavement heaves in Manhattan, I felt like I was moving fairly quickly, but the solidity of the vehicle and the abuse it seems to take absorbing my bud's driving style while accumulating 50+ thousand miles in under 2 years are what impress me. He says he's never had to go to the dealer except for scheduled maintenance. My main point is not the speed of the M3 but the fact that the last generation BMW 3 Series platform impresses me more than the new one.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 AM

THAT WAS AMAZING

"The car itself still has doors that slam like a bank vault, no rattles anywhere, rocket sled acceleration and QUALITY in abundance. "

How did you make that up.ahahahahahhaah i was dieing when i read it you should put that in a commercial.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:16 AM

so, um... what WOULD you consider fast?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Bugatti Veyron

Did you see the latest Top Gear? Looks like its JC's favorite car ever. You can find the show on mininova.org. In the meantime, you can get all the info from this awesome article.

Quick facts about the Veyron:
Engineers mated 2 Audi V8's to form a 8L W16
4 turbos
10 radiators
1001 BHP
0-62 in 2.5 secs
Top speed 253 Mph<ul><li><a href="http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1890873,00.html">Bugatti Veyron by Jeremy Clarkson</a></li></ul>
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Speaking of BMW, does anyone know what the box on the right side rear bumber is? MB also has it.....

If you're looking at the rear bumber on Mercedes or BMWs, there's a small square panel that looks like a cut out,....... what's behind there?!?!
Old 12-15-2005, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed of light.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:38 AM

Default Re: so, um... what WOULD you consider fast?

I'm pretty calloused when it comes to "fast".

The M3 has adequate power, but doesn't put a smile on my face at all in a straight line. (nor does the A4 or S4 for that matter).

Throw it into some curves and it's ear to ear, though =o)

I need 11 seconds or less to smile in a straight line, and 10 seconds in order to keep the smile. At least 550-600 RWHP on a 3500 LB car is necessary to be "fast".

I imagine the RS4 will pull hard enough to make me grin a little, but still really isn't all that fast from what I see.
It's all in the power to weight ratio....
I've driven so many cars in the 3300-3500 LB range with 400 HP+ to the tire; they just don't feel fast anymore.

The mercedes CL65 is a pretty good scream =o)
What an amazing car. Too bad it costs almost as much as my house.

The suspension refinements in the Audis and BMWs, and the finishing touches are what makes the car worth the coin. None of them are really fast.

When I had the cobra (590 RWHP), I used to laugh at guys who would rev their M3's at me.
yeah, it's a nice car, but it was nice watching it get small in my mirrors =o)

Don't get me wrong, I like all of the mentioned cars, but I don't call something "fast" unless its FAST.
There are a lot of things the Audis and BMW's have that a lot of fast cars don't have, and this is why I'm getting an Audi this time...but I'll never dare to call it fast, even after I max it out with all of the upgrades.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 vs. BMW