A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 07-22-2016, 02:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Audi iPod Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi iPod Kit

Does anyone know whats going on with Audi's iPod kit? Earlier this year I heard it was supposed to be released in November, but I havent heard anything since.

Has anyone had any sucess getting a third party kit to work with NAV+ while keeping the CD changer? Do any of the kits show song status info on the NAV?

TIA
Old 12-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Audi iPod Kit

Last time I called the Audi Part Dept they told me March or April.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Yeah, I bought my car in August, they told me "two weeks".

Roommate just bought a Civic Hybrid. It's got an iPod jack. Forget displaying songs on the nav screen, all I want for Xmas is a friggin' jack.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Yeah, I bought my car in August, they told me "two weeks".

You have a point. I feel the same way.

Does anyone have any experience with FM transmitters? They seem like they will offer horrible sound quality, but the new iTrip LCD from Griffin seems pretty good.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, no and deff. not.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:35 PM

Default HORRIBLE

The wireless FM transmitters are horrid, I have tried every version of the iTrip and all of the sucked.
Unless you live out in the midle of nowhere.

Until I can find something that will let me have my XM and my iPod I will stick with my trusty cassette tape adapter.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Audi iPod Kit

I just bought (from someone on here) there iPod Ice link...just get that and you will be ok. If you have nav there are a few places out there (bltzsafe for 1) that probably has a work around for you
Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Yeah, I bought my car in August, they told me "two weeks".

I've had an ipod with the new (I think it was redesigned about two months ago?) Itrip for a month or two. The Itrip will not work in my old 911 (with an old Pioneer indash CD player) unless I have my hand on it (so I drive around with my left hand on the wheel, and shift with my right hand WHILE holding the ipod - not smart). The Itrip DOES work pretty well in my old (now gone) 1998 1.8T - I can just lay it on the seat, and it sounds fine. By "fine" I mean it has no static. But, the sound is definitely compressed, and you have to turn the stereo up loud and the ipod down to about 60% of volume to make it sound decent. When you turn your stereo up that much, you tend to hear noise too.

I live in a city (Minneapolis) and have never had reception problems in the Audi. Just the limitations of using an FM frequency to transmit. Cassette adapter is probably the way to go - I just refuse to have wires running out of my stereo! The advantage of the itip is that I can bring it in the house and play my entire collection over my home stereo.

Haven't tried the ipod in my new (5 days old!) A4 2.0TQ, because there is no need with Sat radio -- too much excellent content to get to during my 30-minute commute anyway.

By the way, I should re-read your post, but I guess you have Nav? My understanding is that you can connect your ipod as long as you don't have a CD changer, or you can swap the ipod for the changer. You probably know that already.

Good luck - when I picked my car up on Saturday, I asked the dealer about ipod integration -- she told me "we're working on it. Should be available soon".

Someone made a good point recently on this forum - there are something like 2 million XM subscribers, and 20 million MP3 player owners, and Audi goes all out for sat radio and has NOTHING for an ipod. How hard would it be to just have a little aux input jack on the face plate of the stereo for now? I think that is what BMW has been doing for the past two years.

OK - I'm done complaining. I still love my A4 (both of them).
Old 12-14-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Aux. Input Jack

I'm sure a lot of time was spent integrating that nifty cassette player instead of the much needed jack you mention. Exactly when was the last time cassettes were sold in stores? 1980?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:40 AM

Default best option so far..........

Make fun of it all you want, but the cassette adapter is the best option for those of us with XM.

If someone call show me a hardwire type product that works with the Symphony II, with Xm and Bose I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Audi iPod Kit