A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Avant rear seat space

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avant rear seat space

I am cross shopping an A4 Avant with a C6 A6, test drove an A6 a couple days ago and it was very nice. Drivers seat felt like a great place to be, very snug and the MMI was great, rear seat had plenty of room, huge trunk etc.

But... I am also debating an A4 Avant. The problem is I have a 2 year old, and a 4 year old. I looked in the back of an A4 sedan, and the back seats looked really small. Are the rear seats in the Avant the same size? I am pretty tall, so usually have the drivers seat most of the way back, is there enough room in the back of the Avant for 2 forward facing seats and a childs legs?

Not sure which I prefer, I did prefer the A4, but having driven the A6 it's not such an easy decision.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were you I'd go with the A6. My wife's LR3 does most of our family hauling, but now with basketball, gymnastics, skating, and other kids activities I'm driving them around more in the A4. There is lots of whining about lack of leg room, especially behind me...I'm 6'2". I have actually considered selling my A4 and getting a used allroad for the extra space. I had a 2002 allroad for 110,000 miles and miss it.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, you are pretty much confirming what I suspected. I was really surprised at how little room there was in the back of the A4. At least it makes the search somewhat easier, lots more A6's than A4 Avant's around here.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
HPW
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed... I have an Avant but don't have a family. I think it'd do okay for 1 carseat for a toddler, but if your kids are older and you have multiple kids, it's going to be too small. The boot isn't huge either.

Not sure if you've considered it but the B8 A4 Avants are significantly larger since they stretched the wheelbase on the B8. It's closer to A6 legroom now.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear seats in the Avant are the same as the sedan. That said, your 2 year old and 4 year old should be in car seats and boosters for at least another 6-8 years. I have an Avant and 3 kids (2, 4, 6) and it's tight, but it works. Of course, on long hauls and when we need more space, we take the Q7.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How?

Originally Posted by mksap11
I have an Avant and 3 kids (2, 4, 6) and it's tight, but it works.
I also have three kids, and very close ages to yours. I've tried several combinations and never been able to get three seats/boosters to fit (2 seats+1 bootster, or 1 seat+2 boosters). I'm very curious to hear what kind of seats you're using and in what configuration.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de
I also have three kids, and very close ages to yours. I've tried several combinations and never been able to get three seats/boosters to fit (2 seats+1 bootster, or 1 seat+2 boosters). I'm very curious to hear what kind of seats you're using and in what configuration.
We're currently using 2 Sunshine Kids Radian 65s and 1 Sunshine Kids Monterey High-backed booster. The booster is mounted on the side, and the fitment is pretty tight (you need relatively small hands to be able to squeeze your hand between the car seats to buckle it). We're not entirely sure exactly how we're going to manage it once we transition the 4 year old to a booster. He doesn't seem to mind the car seat he's in, and the Radian 65 is weight rated to 65lbs (only 48lbs if using LATCH, per Audi's LATCH specs).

I'll try to snap some pics of it if you're interested, but here's what it looks like when mounted in the Q7 (the extra width really helps)

Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Go with the A6

Originally Posted by naiku
I am cross shopping an A4 Avant with a C6 A6, test drove an A6 a couple days ago and it was very nice. Drivers seat felt like a great place to be, very snug and the MMI was great, rear seat had plenty of room, huge trunk etc.

But... I am also debating an A4 Avant. The problem is I have a 2 year old, and a 4 year old. I looked in the back of an A4 sedan, and the back seats looked really small. Are the rear seats in the Avant the same size? I am pretty tall, so usually have the drivers seat most of the way back, is there enough room in the back of the Avant for 2 forward facing seats and a childs legs?

Not sure which I prefer, I did prefer the A4, but having driven the A6 it's not such an easy decision.

Thanks.
I have both an A4 and an allroad (A6 based). With the car seat in the A4, my 3 year old has his feet against the front seat all the time. And, I'm not particularly tall. In the allroad, he has much more "wiggle" room. With two kids in there, in car seats, they'd feel cramped. If not now, they would in a year or two.