A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Aweful grinding sound when shifting into 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aweful grinding sound when shifting into 3rd gear

Hi... haven't posted here in a while, but hoping someone could help. (I've STFA, but didn't see much in terms of a resolution to this problem).

About two weeks ago accelerating onto the highway my car (2.0T 6-sp manual) made this terrible crunching sound shifting into 3rd. I figured it was probably a bone-head move on my part and attibuted it to me being sleepy. However, every subsequent shift into 3rd (even sitting at idle) makes the same sound ... which can be felt thought the shifter as well.

My dealership (being the wonder example of service that all Audi dealerships are) said they couldn't take me in until 7/16 (a full month since I've started having the problem!).

So, in the mean time I've been shifting 2 --> 4 which I'm sure is not good... especially trying to drive in traffic moving 30-35 mph.

Every once-in-a-while I forget and shift into 3rd anyway.

So... what could this possibly be? Misaligned clutch? Bad syncros?

My bigger concern is how they will fix it. I'm sure by now I've done unrepairable damage to the gears... should I expect a new transmission? Assuming everything is covered by warranty (05.5 with 19K miles).

TIA
Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default dam man...

i havent had any crunching sound, but i have had some issues to where it doesnt want to go into first gear..i would have to shift it into 2nd, or 3rd then back into 1rst and then go.but i heard thats common. now about your problem, i was readong on a forum that this dude had the same issue and it was the syncro. they will cover it and it is under warranty. i beleive he said it took like one-2 weeks
Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah, I've seen a few that ended up having the entire transmission replaced...

"odelay12v" in particular. I guess my real worry is that is it worse in the long run to have them "fix" whatever is wrong or to have an entire tranmission replaced.

I had the idea of having little bits of ground metal floating around in my x-mission, however I'm also not keen on the idea of a transmission being replaced at less than 20K.

BTW, I've been driving stick for 16 years, I don't race, and pretty much all my weekend (non commuting) driving is with my 14-month old son... so I'm not abusing the car in any way.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt...

but from what I've read and experienced myself, I'd say the 3rd gear syncros are gone. My car has 9K on it now and from about 3K on, I have hated the way it shifts into 2nd gear. It feels like the syncros aren't aligning properly and it sort of grinds (more notchy) into 2nd gear. It's been better as of late though.

You sure wouldn't be the first person to take out the 3rd gear syncros in an Audi 6MT. I've read comments that even a simple missed shift into 3rd can cause damage. My 3rd is notchy feeling, but it's never caused me to mis-shift...yet.

There are two ways to fix the issue if it is syncros. The sycros can be rebuilt IF the dealer has qualified technicians (or qualified place to send it under warranty). However, most dealerships look at transmissions as black boxes. If it's broke, it just gets replaced. This is how my dealership services transmissions if there is a failure.

If you don't mind, please keep us up to speed on this issue. I'm VERY curious how AoA will handle this. Just know that I've read a few posts very similar to yours. I'm not too happy with this manual transmission at all. Audi did not do good here.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks. I totally agree... the 3rd gear shift has never been wonderful...

but I'm used to it from my GTI, so I'm very careful about shifting. One thing for sure, every shift makes me miss my Miata more and more. Even my 240Z shifted smoother than my Avant ever did.

I guess my biggest concern is that they'll somehow claim "driver abuse" or "error" and not cover the repair.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm hoping AoA won't do that to you, but if they do I'd be sure to sight examples of other people's

issues. I KNOW they exist. Also admit nothing, ever. If you're really not abusing the car, then stick to your guns with them.

I had a '79 280ZX and to date that was my favorite manual transmission car I've owned. One thing is for sure, the Japanese have some very nice manual transmissions.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Happened to me as well...

The same exact situation you described happened to my 07 Avant. It went in under warranty and didn't come back to me until 30 days later. No tranny swap. Instead they used some rare assembly tool. Ended up replacing 3rd gear, syncros, and what was described to me as the syncro ring - pardon my ignorance on that part. Now I'm babying the clutch and everything else. Hang in there pal.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ugh. Have you had any problems/symptoms since?

I'll be getting a loaner, but I have to say I'm not thrilled about leaving my baby at the dealership for (possibly) a month.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do you know if the B6 and B7's use the same transmission ?

I ask as I have a 3.2 B7 Avant on order due for Aug/Sept delivery and currently have a 3.0 B6 Avant that has been great, hope the B7 6MT is as good.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No Problems since the repair.

The mechanic also balanced and aligned it. He emphasized it was important to do so after putting the the tranny back together. I can believe that. Unchecked vibration may not be healthy for a restored/repaired transmission. Hopefully they replace your entire transmission. I am under the impression it would take less time to replace it rather than repair it. Nevertheless, the mechanic who fixed my baby did an amzing job. Like nothing ever happened.