A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Basic Insurance Questions (maybe off-topic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Insurance Questions (maybe off-topic)

Hi all,

I have a few simple insurance questions. I am not too knowledgeable about the ins and outs of insurance, so I need your assitance in understanding more about it.

I have a leased 2006 A4. I'm not yet 21, though I do pay for the car fully.

Questions:

1) Given my age - and even though I have a clean record - my rates would be high. Is it legal to drive a car that lists my mom (for whom rates will be lower,) for example, as the primary driver and no secondary drivers? Meaning, if I get pulled over with such a policy, am I likely to be in trouble?

2) If #1 would be illegal, would it be significantly cheaper to list myself as the secondary and my mom as the primary than to list myself only as the primary? (I'm really the only driver of the car.)

3) What insurance speak should I watch out for to get the best deal? What should I avoid? I need to know how to get the lowest possible monthly payment.

Thank you in advance and I hope that this questions has not been wildly off-topic!

Cheers!

Henry
Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 PM

Just FYI...What you are doing is called insurance fraud.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Basic Insurance Questions (maybe off-topic)

I am not doing anything, read the damn post and reply intelligently. Hay es?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default #1 is illegal #2 is legal

basically thats what i've done when I drove my moms g35x for over a year...she was listed as a primary driver... have your mom call and talk to the insurance company instead of you...she should say she'll be the primamry driver driving like 3k miles a year for pleasure only (not to work or anywhere else) the car will be garaged and have you listed as a secondary driver in case you need to drive the car somewhere in case of an emergency.... the cheapest way to go...
Old 10-25-2005, 04:43 PM

Default all wrong,

if you dont list as a driver, the car is still insured, if there is a accident while you are driving, certain coverages may or may not change.
not illegal
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Excuse me..what you are THINKING of doing is called insurance fraud. Both #1 and #2 are in fact...

illegal. You are knowingly making a false statement and lying to your insurance company, saying that you don't drive the car, or that you are not the primary driver, since obviously you are!

And what KEVIN97A4 suggested, is also illegal. If you say your mom drives the car 3kmiles a year and you are the secondary driver and drive it even less...and then in 2yrs you have 30kmiles on your car, and you get into an accident and need to make a claim....then what? Maybe your insurance provider will cover you, maybe not. If I was your insurance provider, I sure as hell wouldn't cover you!

And yes, "Hay em." Do Esh es?

In the end, what you do is your own choice. But don't say I didn't warn you!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: all wrong,

wow....the misinformation flood continues I see

Drivers are not insured...cars are. Can you obtain insurance without a car? Nope. Can you insure a car that is not driven (ie in the buildup stage) - yep. Some insurance companies are strict about listing drivers (ie every driver in the household MUST be listed, even if they cannot drive the car or do not drive the car). The other concern is that the some companies will only issue insurance to the titled owner of the car.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very risky

For example in Massachusetts the Insurance companies are very strict about under age drivers.

If there was only one car between your mother and you, you may be able to get away with putting yourself as a casual driver. However, they would get suspicious if you bought a second car.

The risk is that they would not pay an insurance claim. A claim can be very expensive if it involves injury.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Very risky

again, I cannot speak for every state, but each car in my parents household is registered and insured to my father. My father did this for me when I started driving in '92, and did the same for my brother up until this year when he bought himself a new car (he still lives there). I had several cars, and several accidents when young, and never had an issue. My brother also had several cars (2 at once in fact), and one accident, and also no issues whatsoever with the claim.

Example - if I let my gf drive my car and she is in an accident - so long as she is licensed, the car is covered. She does not live with me and as such is not required to be a driver under my policy. Same goes if the car is stolen - the car is still covered, even though the driver did not have the owners permission.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:20 AM

Default If you have permission to drive the vehicle... you're insured

PERIOD! Look carefully at the policy it should state that somewhere.

I went through this with my mustang when I was your age. I even got into a VERY serious accident and all was covered though I wasn't listed as a driver on my mom's policy.

Just getting pulled over will not cause any issues. As long as you have a valid registration and insurance card, you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Basic Insurance Questions (maybe off-topic)