A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Blaspheme: Anyone thinking WRX sti or Evo for next time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blaspheme: Anyone thinking WRX sti or Evo for next time?

I love this new A4, don't get me wrong. It is almost pure joy to drive.

My mid-life crisis car, which is overdue, won't be a 'Vette or a Honda S2200 (although maybe an M3 would work), but I have this thing about the WRX sti that's lasted more than a few days...

Discuss?
Old 10-03-2005, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default STI would be a fun car but that makes me want to try a B5 S4...

when I start thinking along those lines. That's despite the knowledge that the turbos blow more than Monica Lew...nevermind. cheers! Mike
Old 10-03-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blaspheme: Anyone thinking WRX sti or Evo for next time?

go drive and STi and then drive the Evo.....you tell me what you would rather drive everyday vs drive on weekend and track days.

We work extensively with both of them, and for day to day, the STi is a more comfortable car. For track day duties and weekend warrior, the Evo runs circles around it in terms of sheer fun, and overall "sports" feel...it's also a helluva lot cheaper to mod the Evo
Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 PM

Default If I were 27, yes, but at 37, no - if it were my only car, I'd go nuts..

But as a second car, I can see it easily. Great autocross or track day ride, but not a complete package as a daily driver for me.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:06 PM

Default yea, wouldn't want it as an everyday car...i've heard of evo engines blowing at 8k miles, dont think

they are very reliable.

I haven't driven either of them, but I imagine they are really fun to drive.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default an EVO VIII MR would've been nice to have, especially since the price would be similar,

but i'm addicted to my audi right now and there's nothing major wrong with it. I agree with everyone else about it's issues:
-non functional buttons on steering wheel suck
-no bluetooth

(these will probably have a solution soon since people here are relentless at solving these issues, just comes down to cost/benefit)

things easily fixed:
-orange airbag light
-beeping seatbelt chime
-stiffer suspension, but the B7 suspension isn't all that bad

sorry, end of rant, i kinda got lost in my thoughts.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: yea, wouldn't want it as an everyday car...i've heard of evo engines

I've "heard" of virtually every new car blowing a motor early...its not an indicator of anything. We also have customers who have dynoed over 450 whp on bone stock internal Evo motors (aside from cams and headstuds)

As for the MR...for me, I think it's a waste. The standard GSR model is the one to get IMHO
Old 10-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: I'm going the opposite way

Although mine isn't an STi, it's a modded WRX that makes about the same power. They are definately very fun, but you will miss the luxury and great german interior - which is why I'm selling my WRX for an A4 Avant. I've had my fill and am ready to ride in comfort and style again.

Before the WRX I had a BMW 330Ci, so I've definately a good amount of time on both sides of the fence.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:59 PM

Default lemme change that to "I know" somebody who's Evo blew at 8,000 miles

Maybe a new car blowing a motor early "is not an indicator of anything." But do you think many Evo's will be running well after 150 or 200k miles? Or as well as an Audi?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: lemme change that to "I know" somebody who's Evo blew at 8,000 miles

honestly if it is well maintained, yes I do.

Had a 92 Galant VR4 that went to well over 200k miles....car ran low 12's. Was all in the maintenance. Alot of times I think its just "in the cards" - some people get the good cars and some don't

Quick Reply: Blaspheme: Anyone thinking WRX sti or Evo for next time?