A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Buying My First Audi - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying My First Audi - Need Advice

I am considering buying my first Audi and am doing a bit of research. I'm looking at A4s and from what I can tell, people either love them or hate them. Questions I'm looking for answers to are:

- Are there any particular model years I should stay away from? I have heard some can be very problematic/expensive because of repair and reliability issues.

- I want somthing i can take over the moutnains in the winter, so AWD is a must. Can someone tell me the engine sizes and if you really notice that much difference in performance and/or fuel consumption? If I go with the smallest engine, will I have the pedal on the floor board only to keep at 55 mph over the pass, or does it too have enough power behind it to drive at a 75 mph clip on an incline, without sending the RPMs through the roof? Is there a Turbo model?

- Any large repair concerns I should look for? I'm thinking in terms of negotiation replacements w/ the dealer before buying. I'm ideally looking for something with around 25K - 35K on it.

- If well maintained, how long will this car last? One independent mechanic specializing in German cars said it's a crap shoot w/ Audis and despite being under Volkswagen, they are not on the same platform and not yet mainstream here in the U.S., so parts are very expensive compared to BMW, MB, VW.

Any other insight would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you have a consumerreports.com subscription you'll find that 2007 A4 and newer are the most reliable. (a "better than average" purchase compared to similar cars in its class).

If you read through this forum you'll notice a recurring thread regarding cam follower/shaft issues. You should read through that thread. This only affects a relatively small percentage of A4's but it was enough to extend the warranty for this to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

If you buy an A4, run the vin number at the dealership to see which recalls have been or need to be performed. Replacing the coil packs is a big one.

I have a 2.0T 6 speed manual and it is perfectly fine in the mountains. You will have no problems with this engine at higher elevations...especially because of the turbo. I recommend the Avant for some extra space if you end up travelling a lot. If you can find the 6 cylinder 6speed manual avant...good for you...they are very rare!

Another piece of advice that never was given to me is to read these forums with the understanding the thing you'll mostly read are negative things that have happened to Audi owners. The negatives far outweigh the positives. I'd almost be willing to say that the majority of Audi owners do not post to these forums and are in general pretty happy customers.

Good luck with your A4 search!!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had a 2006 A4 2.0T and a 2009 A4 3.2, and loved them both. I had the odd electrical gremlin once or twice with each car (abs light would come on or something minor for no reason and then go away). Never had a single mechanical issue.

The 2006 A4 had enough power to pass with ease, and the 2009 A4 had even more power. If your budget allows, I would go for the B8 A4 (most current model), as it is better in just about every area from the B7.

The AWD is probably the best out there in my opinion. I was driving up unplowed country roads each winter with confidence.

I would get a warranty with whatever you go with, just because if something does go wrong it is expensive to fix. The piece of mind is worth it.

I agree with Shanster also, that if you google "reliability of [insert car make here]" you will get more negative reviews than positive. Happy customers just don't share their experiences as much as disgruntled ones.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just bought an 06 a4 quattro 2.0t bout a month ago and everytime i slide into the drivers seat it puts a smile on my face. Best awd system out, good pwr and excellent gas milage. Charles