A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Compare Audi A4 and BMW 328XI

Old 07-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compare Audi A4 and BMW 328XI

I am purchasing a new car and am trying to decide between the Audi A4 and the BMW328XI. Please tell me advantages and disadvantages to both.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My take...

Lots of people here know them both well and will offer much more. You can't go wrong with either.

A colleague of mine has a new 328xi, and the real difference that strikes me is the interior style and quality. I much prefer the A4 interior. I like the looks of both cars (an edge to Audi), I like quattro, I love the 2.0T (but I can see where some don't), they both handle well.

If I had to have an automatic transmission, I would probably buy a BMW. As it is, I've been delighted with my A4 2.0T MT6 quattro every day for two years now. I like it as much as the day I got it.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You'll get a lot more out of this forum if you have specific questions.

I personally like the aesthetics of the Audi better for the exterior, and I don't think the BMW should be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to interior.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default people look at my audi more :)

I dunno bout anyone else here...but i have a 2007 a4 2.0T with titanium and S-Line packages...and everytime im on the road theres always a few people looking at my car... it seems like audi has exclusivity compared to BMW..i see the 3 series everywhere. Appeal factor goes to the a4 hands down. Quattro, same thing. Engine? your preference...the 2.0 is a damn good engine. Sure it sounds like a toy...but compared to the 328xi, the a4 with 2.0T will rip it apart...the 328xi is a dog (like the lexus is250). Interior...goes to audi once again. Not much left to like better about the 328xi...to me atleast. Only downside i can see to the 2.0T is the lag from a standstill with an automatic trans. This can easily be fixed with a chip tho or just drop it in S.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I was interested in the BMW 328xi Wagon BUT....

BMW no longer has oil dipsticks on their engines. The use a sensor to measure the oil level and report it on the cluster. Problem is BMW is notorious for bad sensors and only way to verify oil level is drain/refill. I really like the 328xi Wagon but won't buy a BMW unless they fix this very serious flaw. I would not want to own the car outside the warranty period.

Cheers,

Chuck
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM

Default There both really great cars...

Most people on this forum (including me) are gonna recomend audi, esp since you want all wheel drive... My friends 3series had more odd problems that shouldnt of happened then my audi did, but thats only 1 car not really a fair comparison. I really like the way the new 2 door 3 series looks but I hate the 4 door version. It really comes down to personal preference, there both great cars. The best way to find out the one that is best for you is to go drive a couple and see what U like and dont like about each car. Then see what kinda price / trade / deal you can get on each car, and how each dealership treats you. BMW was competly out of the question for me after spending a half an hour in the local bmw dealership. They treated people like sh$t there unless you were looking at a car 60k or up. This was about 8 years ago, I went across the street to the audi dealership got treated great, went home that day with an A4 and have been a happy audi owner ever since. Now when its time for a new car I know right were to go, im on my third audi so far. I bet after you drive a couple cars and spend some time at each dealership there will be one that you just have to have. GL with whatever you pick.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3-series has a COLD interior. The part you stare at the most.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Matter of personal preference

I kept both overnight before deciding on the A4. Have an S-line and I say it looks much better than the BMW. The interiors are comparable with the Audi looking a bit better. Ride on the BMW with sport package was I thought extremely harsh. Think it is a combination of the suspension and the standard run flat tires. They both handle well with maybe a slight edge with the BMW. Acceleration is pretty close but a chipped car will have the advantage.

I personally will stay away from run flats - there is no spare provided. Try getting it replaced or fixed in the middle of nowhere. This is one technology i would rather not be leading.

Either way you can't go wrong
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you want AWD, get it from the company that knows what they are doing.

BMW have great RWD sedans, but Audi's AWD is much better than BMW's x-drive system. Apart from the mechanical, Audi looks better :-) BMW however will have a higher resale value.

Unfortunately all these Audi advantages go down the drain unless you can find a very customer friendly dealer in your area. Audi's customer care SUCKS for the most part and if you're buying an expensive car and expect to be treated accordingly, Audi may not be the best choice. I would suggest asking around locally to see if there is an Audi service center that people are happy with, otherwise looks for a different car. The only luxury car maker that I've never heard anything bad about in terms of their customer service is Lexus. Audi seems to be the worst one, but it is possible to find exceptions (I have).
Old 07-20-2007, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The 3 series is a chick car here in Vegas...

I would say that 8 out of 10 3-series (the new style) are driven by little high school/college aged chicks. Even the 335i coupe is mostly driven by chicks here. In fact, I have seen one or two guys driving that coupe out of maybe 20 I've seen on the road.

Not entirely sure what this means. I like the styling of the 3-series. Apparently chicks love driving them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compare Audi A4 and BMW 328XI