A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Dash Light Dimmer - can it go darker?

Old 09-19-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Light Dimmer - can it go darker?

Just got my new ride a couple of days ago, after waiting 3+ months, wooo hoo! I'll post pics and some initial impressions in a few days. But I have a quick question: Is there a way to make the dash/console brightness go darker. I tried using the -/+ buttons but it's only a micro adjustment, any other methods? I'm coming over from BMW and I used to make it just dark enough so the background of the LCD displays are black, but the digits still bright. I can't get the Audi LCD to go black...
Old 09-19-2005, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default The LCD is a pain

I assume you are referring to the center LCD panel, not the two big clocks. It doesn't go down nearly enough, it's always much brighter than the two big dials, or the Nav for that matter.

You can press the - button a few times, sometimes it works "better" than just holding it. The manual also describes a procedure to adjust the dials / faceplates separately, but that didn't work for me either.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:46 PM
MPR

Default Re: The LCD is a pain

You can change the brightness of the needles and the dials separately. To change the brightness of the needles put the key in the ignition and turn it to the accessory on position. Now, press the +/- buttons and you'll be able to change the illumination of the needles. When you turn on the engine and turn on the lights you can use the +/- buttons to change the illumination of the dials.

I wish they had kept the illumation purely red as in my old B5. Loved it and was able to get it low enough to be visible but totally non-intrusive during night time driving. I am stilly trying to get used to the B7 dash.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's what the manual says, I know

but doesn't work as said on my car. Oh well, there are worse things =)
Old 09-19-2005, 04:37 PM
MPR

Default Re: That's what the manual says, I know

Oh...maybe there is a way to re-activate the function. Anyone know?

When I picked up my car I later noticed that the one-touch up/down was not working. After scouring the forums I found the fix. Turn the key to the accessory on position, drop the window all the way down, put it all the way up, wait 1 second, pull the switch for up. After that they were working fine.

Maybe something like this for the dash illumination?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe it's simply not working =)

Such things I really stopped caring about.

As for the windows, you don't need to drive the windows all the way down, or wait for that matter. Just hold the switches up for 5s and you are set.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What we really need is the B6 method - or better still the Saab method

Saab has a "blackout" function for night driving, and the B6 A4 was easy to shut the trip computer off completely.

The B7 console is very distracting on a dark road at night.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MPR
You can change the brightness of the needles and the dials separately. To change the brightness of the needles put the key in the ignition and turn it to the accessory on position. Now, press the +/- buttons and you'll be able to change the illumination of the needles. When you turn on the engine and turn on the lights you can use the +/- buttons to change the illumination of the dials.

I wish they had kept the illumation purely red as in my old B5. Loved it and was able to get it low enough to be visible but totally non-intrusive during night time driving. I am stilly trying to get used to the B7 dash.
What +/- buttons to change the illumination of the dials?