A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

dipped headlight?????!!!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the same problem and my headlights would flicker. they changed the bulb[updated]

I kid you not and it stopped. There is a little flicker now and again, but before it was like I turned my lights on and off.

Oh and I paid $0 for this...as should you. Not $300...
Old 02-09-2008, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default PRoblem went away, it actually happened in nice weather

But seemed to occur shortly after I was driving on some seriously rough roads or hit a big pothole.

I had another issue with the headlight itself flickering, because the ballast was dying. Some days I would get a headlight burnt symbol indicating that a bulb was out, and in fact one of the headlights wasn't on. Turning the car off/on got the light back on. Once the ballast was replaced the light was fine. Now my other headlight is starting to do that.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: If your car is under warranty then his should be covered. Mine was covered at Strong Audi inclu

What TSB number was this? I'm having a similar problem with both headlights on my S4 and the dealer found a TSB (2013829/3) that says to replace the bulbs. But they say the bulbs are only covered under warranty for 6 months/10K.

More info:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/64930.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/64930.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I had mine replaced at 24 months/35K under that same TSB...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default follow up

All:

My issue is that my headlights flicker, go out, and then I get the Right/Left Headlight Dipped error message. Your comments have been helpful. I have the Technical Service Bulletin (94 07 04 March 5, 2007, 2013829/2) for the dealer. From perusing this and a few other threads, it seems to be a common problem.

My appointment is soon. I am concerned because when I described the problem to the service rep., he said he had never encountered it. At the time of the call, I was not aware of the TSB, above. When he asked where I got my information (and I responded online), he seemed skeptical.

I have an extended warranty through Audi, which I will read in light of this issue. I believe I am within extended warranty. I have a couple follow-up questions that I was hoping someone could answer (sorry if these have been addressed before):

1. Has anyone found dealers attributing the cause of this issue to headlight reaching "expected lifetime" or "road conditions," when in fact the cause is "hardware issues in the high-intensity gas lamp control module"?

2. Does the dealer have any incentive to proceed under the service procedures for "if one xenon light sporadically flickers" versus "if one xenon light on one side fails permanently"? Which is more expensive?

3. If anyone has had service under either procedure, was it covered under warranty (especially under an extended warranty)?

4. Since some time has passed since the last post on this issue, is there anything else that would be particularly helpful to do/know before, during, or after bringing my car into the dealership.

Thanks for any help,

misnomer
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2005 S4. I kept getting the 'left headlight dipped' message sporadically with the same results described - flicker then failure of the light.

Here's what I did to troubleshoot:

I swapped the ballast from the left light to the right, and vice versa. Gave it a few days and the problem stayed with the left headlight. So, rule out the ballast.

I then swapped the bulb to the right, and right to left. A few days - Ahh, right headlight dipped. So it appeared to be the bulb. I swapped it back to the left, a few days, and got the old left headlight dipped message.

I bought two new bulbs as a pair as recommended and problem solved, it was the bulb for some reason. Interesting.

I'm sure there are many possible reasons for the issue, check wiring and connections first, but this is how I resolved my issue. It isn't too hard to remove the lights, remove two bolts and loosen two others and out it comes.

Lastly, the tool needed to remove the bolts is a torx bit, and as luck would have it a Stihl chainsaw tool works perfectly. Go to a Stihl shop and you can get the T handle which has the correct size torx bit and a spark plug tube on the end you turn, it is long enough to reach to the two lower bolts. Cheap, easy and available.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toolbeater
I have a 2005 S4. I kept getting the 'left headlight dipped' message sporadically with the same results described - flicker then failure of the light.

Here's what I did to troubleshoot:

I swapped the ballast from the left light to the right, and vice versa. Gave it a few days and the problem stayed with the left headlight. So, rule out the ballast.

I then swapped the bulb to the right, and right to left. A few days - Ahh, right headlight dipped. So it appeared to be the bulb. I swapped it back to the left, a few days, and got the old left headlight dipped message.

I bought two new bulbs as a pair as recommended and problem solved, it was the bulb for some reason. Interesting.

I'm sure there are many possible reasons for the issue, check wiring and connections first, but this is how I resolved my issue. It isn't too hard to remove the lights, remove two bolts and loosen two others and out it comes.

Lastly, the tool needed to remove the bolts is a torx bit, and as luck would have it a Stihl chainsaw tool works perfectly. Go to a Stihl shop and you can get the T handle which has the correct size torx bit and a spark plug tube on the end you turn, it is long enough to reach to the two lower bolts. Cheap, easy and available.
Can you please let me know where you purchased the new bulbs? I'm having hte same problem. Thanks much!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by nickel4490
Can you please let me know where you purchased the new bulbs? I'm having hte same problem. Thanks much!
I bought new bulbs from AutohausAZ, here is the part number and description from their site:
2 N10566101 Headlight Bulb, Xenon; D1S-35W; Xenon Low Beam; Left/Right

But remember to try the ballast swap first, it may not be the bulbs, I've read that there are a few causes for the same fault including the ballast, so swap them over from one side to the other. I also read that the ballast is the same as used in some Dodge/Chrysler lights and so a search of the part number will find the same ballast cheaper than from Audi. It's worth a shot if it turns out to be the ballast.

My left headlight would dip EVERY time I went around a particularly bumpy bend near my house and it got worse over time. Not sure what your symptoms are...
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@toolbeater: Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting and parts tips. Question on the labor involved... Were you able to access ballast and bulbs without front valance removal? I'm pretty confident I can do the steps, but have only located one visual DIY for bulb replacement - and that was on an A4 2.0. Air intake and brake res look like the two main things to contend with.
I have a '06 S4, but I imagine it's not much different(?) Any notes regarding electrical safety when working with these components?

This issue has really annoyed me for quite awhile. Got the letter from Audi USA for the extended warranty - 50k/4 yr. Of course, they sent last month (my
4th year) AND I just turned 50k. Sometimes the flicker/failure happens reltively soon when driving. The other night, I drove for about 2 hours with not one flicker. Go figure.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

@Arctic:
I did not have to remove any parts located either in or out of the engine bay (valance, brake parts) to remove the headlight assemblies and I would think yours would be the same.
On the '05 there are just three bolts that hold the headlight in place. All three can be accessed without removal of any other parts. The trick is though to have the torx tool to reach down to the 2 bolts located behind the light. If you send me an email contact I can send you some photos marked up of where the bolts are on my car. They may be completely different on the '06 of course but really, it's possible the same engineer(s) worked on both models of cars and it's likely that you too can remove the headlights in the same way.
Once they are out it is simply a matter of very carefully changing the parts, try the bulb first since it is the suspect part, ballast second if the problem stays on the same side. There are a few small connectors on the components, don't be in a rush to pull the connectors off before you figure out if there is a clip to be removed, a tab to be sprung or some other little trick. It'll really F your day if you tear the wires out of a connector...
I have read that there can be high voltage present in the ballast, maybe some sort of capacitance charge held. I've never burned a hole in my finger but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. Don't make a habit of putting your tongue on the pins to check...
Post your email if you want some photos.
Had a crazy problem recently of the engine losing power, ABS light coming on... It was the brake switch at the pedal.

Quick Reply: dipped headlight?????!!!!!???