A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

dipped headlight?????!!!!!???

Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=toolbeater;24091509]@Arctic:
I did not have to remove any parts located either in or out of the engine bay (valance, brake parts) to remove the headlight assemblies and I would think yours would be the same....]

Thanks again... dev29835@yahoo.com
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
QED
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Arctic_S4
@toolbeater: Thanks for sharing the troubleshooting and parts tips. Question on the labor involved... Were you able to access ballast and bulbs without front valance removal? I'm pretty confident I can do the steps, but have only located one visual DIY for bulb replacement - and that was on an A4 2.0. Air intake and brake res look like the two main things to contend with.
I have a '06 S4, but I imagine it's not much different(?) Any notes regarding electrical safety when working with these components?

This issue has really annoyed me for quite awhile. Got the letter from Audi USA for the extended warranty - 50k/4 yr. Of course, they sent last month (my
4th year) AND I just turned 50k. Sometimes the flicker/failure happens reltively soon when driving. The other night, I drove for about 2 hours with not one flicker. Go figure.
-----------

The letter you received from Audi USA, was regarding replacing the bulbs under the EXTENDED WARRANTY? I'm in Canada and currently the extended warranty will not cover these bulbs. Has anyone had any experience with the extended warranty and the bulb issues? Any resolution?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by QED
-----------

The letter you received from Audi USA, was regarding replacing the bulbs under the EXTENDED WARRANTY? I'm in Canada and currently the extended warranty will not cover these bulbs. Has anyone had any experience with the extended warranty and the bulb issues? Any resolution?

Thanks
QED,

I received the same letter regarding the extended warranty for the Xenon headlights and it is for the bulbs only. I attached a pdf of the letter from Audi.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi Warranty Ext - Xenon.pdf (655.8 KB, 327 views)
Old 05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hi,
i have a message showing up periodically, something like "left dipped headlight off..".
i have noticed following thing, when i turn headlights, it is ok for about 2 minutes than left goes off.
also colour of lights became different. left is more cold cyan and right is more yellow.
when i turn off and on headlights again, they are both on for abt. 2 min., then left goes off again.
do you think it is bulb or something related to electric part?
it appears to be xenon lights. need to go for long ride and need to fix this.
thanks.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was still under warranty back in 09/09 I was in for the final oil change maintenance that would be done before warranty ran out. I told the service adviser that the headlamp keeps dipping and that I would like it fixed while under warranty. He told me it wasn't covered under warranty so I continued to drive the next 25k miles with a broke headlamp that I would have to turn off and then on. Recently called AOA and explained that I had received their letter on the warranty coverage for the headlamp and if they would honor their fix since I was under warranty when the problem originally occurred. I told the lady I had service documents stating the headlamp was not operating and needed a fix. I sent her service documents and she told me to pick a dealership for the fix. They fixed the headlamp, replaced the hpfp, camshaft, follower all at once. Campaign for the cam follower break is in the works. Car is leaking oil since they returned it to me, cam seal negligence, it's in the shop again. Now the car runs well but the front windows won't operate!!! I have only owned this car for 30k miles, it only has 67k on it. These problems are not due to usage but rather cheap parts. Considering trading it in but trade in values I have been getting are low. Anyone interested?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I can't promise you'll have the same experience as me, but I had this issue for about a yr. Took it to the dealer and they wanted to change the bulb but wouldn't guarantee it would fix it. It's like $400 to do that so I said no.

Got the warranty letter about headlights over the winter, so I called back.

Spoke to the Service Manager. Explained the situation. Dipping right...occasional left too. Turn em off, turn em on, they were generally ok. But doing that on Highway 17 in CA where there are no lights and its curvy as hell, I could die. And now I have a 1 yr old son with me occasionally.

Took it in. He really took care of me. New igniters. New ballasts. New bulbs. And I had them add the spacers I read about in the forums somewhere. No problems since.

I am really paranoid about it now though. I don't use auto function. I keep em off as often as possible. They said the igniters have a set # of ignitions in them, so...when you pull into a dark garage in the daytime, and your headlights go on, you just spend a few bucks.

Go in...be nice...it can go a long way.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default left dipped headlight

I just bought a used 2006 A4 Quattro and noticed the first time I drove it at night that the left headlight will flicker, then go out. Comes back on when I turn the lights on and off, and it doesn't happen everytime I drive at night. Mentioned it to the Audi dealership here, they said they had never heard of it, might be the igniter ($600) So I went online, found out this is a fairly common problem with the A4 (how the dealership has never heard of it I can't imagine) Will try switching the ballast tonight to see what happens. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Guys,

All the Xenon Guys are aware of this infamous issue that could end up being expensive to fix. Cheaper way around is to try the bulb replacement first but sometimes, the ballast is the root cause.
I decided to start a little investigation of what could be the problem and I finally was able to separate the board from the housing.

Well I am glad to tell you that I found the problem!!!!!
This ballast was totally shot: once powered, bulb was coming ON for a millisecond and that's it.
Replaced Transformer, capacitors, regulator and voila!!!
It seems that the components are made in Germany (same components used in the aircraft I am working on) and Mouser or other, don't carry them
A total of 4 components need to be replaced: 2 are faulty and 2 are weaken due to the faulty one

2 capacitors
1 transformer
1 Regulator

As previously said, I got these from my Company stock and we have specific parts numbers. I will need to go back to Engineering blue print to see if I can get a cross reference.
I hope by adding this, the post won't be locked, but for info, the total part cost for 1 ballast is $59, way better than a new unit !!!!

Well, if you have a flickering issue, the Community has now a solution!!

Name:  IMG_0256.jpg
Views: 8426
Size:  1.74 MB

Phil
Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default dipped headlight problem

hi guys,

Just joined this forum. I've been having dipped headlight error message. Started maybe a month ago. Came on right after starting car up. Never noticed any problems with the actual headlight functions, but the message always appears when I start the car, even if the lights are turned off. Wondered if anyone else experienced this. BTW, 2005.5 audi a4 2.0t manual bi-xenon headlights

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dipped headlight?????!!!!!???