A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 07-22-2016, 02:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY: How to replace rear tail light bulb (B7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jriddle11
Nice write up, that was super easy to do.
Glad it helped .
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Work like a charm! Only took a few minutes. Thanks for mentioning the plastic clips. Took my time and carefully worked them out.

Robert in NC
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobNC
Work like a charm! Only took a few minutes. Thanks for mentioning the plastic clips. Took my time and carefully worked them out.

Robert in NC
Nice to see after almost 3 years this little DIY is still proving to be helpful.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yes, still useful - lamp part #?

Yes, still useful - is the orientation of the plastic nubs the same on the Avant? (I will try tonight.)

Anyone know the lamp part # for the outside blub (brake/turn signal) for an '07 A4 Avant (or a good place to get this info)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 286 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by grazie
Yes, still useful - is the orientation of the plastic nubs the same on the Avant? (I will try tonight.)

Anyone know the lamp part # for the outside blub (brake/turn signal) for an '07 A4 Avant (or a good place to get this info)?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

Can try this link for North American Audis...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by grazie

Thanks in advance.

Answering my own questions here:

1) Avant assebly removal appears to be the same as sedan (with respect to pulling straight out to the side of the vehicle) - a putty knife wrapped in electrical tape did the job.

2) Bulb goes by a few different numbers but is a standard "1156" which I've used on cars off/on since my '73 Chevy :-)
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Very Helpful DIY Write-Up

Thanks for the time/effort you put into this! You made it easy as Pie!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for posting a complete write-up. It helped tremendously. I followed your write-up until I tried to pull the unit out carefully from what I read and interpreted in your writ-eup. I couldn't do that (pull only a 1/4 inch on the edge then grip bottom and pull straight out -- so I consulted the repair manual. According to the Bentley manual all you need to do is gently pull the tailight unit out holding the inner edge (side with the rubber gasket) and swing it outward like opening a door. It will pivot and release at the plastic post location easily. I tried that I that worked easier for me. In short, in stead of stopping at 1/4 inch, just keep going for about 3 inches and it'll release.

Originally Posted by Old Dog

The next step, getting the taillight assembly out, is the most delicate portion of the whole operation I think. The reason is: there are two plastic posts (see Pic #4 below) on the taillight assembly that fit into two holes with rubber grommets (see Pic #5 below). You definitely do not want to snap either or both off or your whole savings on this DIY project will be wiped out plus some!

Gently start pulling evenly on the right side of the taillight assembly where the moulded part fits into the trunk drain channel. I repeatedly did this until it slowly started to come away from the body, about a ¼” max initially on the right side. Then I was able to get a grip on the bottom of the taillight assembly and pulled straight out, again, slowly and carefully. Eventually the rubber grommets let the plastic posts go. The key is not to get the right side of the assembly out too far risking bending and snapping the plastic posts. Pic #4 above shows the taillight assembly just after it was removed.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dwdesign
Thank you for posting a complete write-up. It helped tremendously. I followed your write-up until I tried to pull the unit out carefully from what I read and interpreted in your writ-eup. I couldn't do that (pull only a 1/4 inch on the edge then grip bottom and pull straight out -- so I consulted the repair manual. According to the Bentley manual all you need to do is gently pull the tailight unit out holding the inner edge (side with the rubber gasket) and swing it outward like opening a door. It will pivot and release at the plastic post location easily. I tried that I that worked easier for me. In short, in stead of stopping at 1/4 inch, just keep going for about 3 inches and it'll release.
You are very welcome dwdesign. I took the liberty of editing my DIY to include your technique as per the Bentley manual. Always good to have a Plan "B".

Take care!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you. It's because of the helpful posts like yours that I've been able to service and upgrade my car.

For further help, here's a photo illustration of the "Swivel outwards to release" technique.

Name:  photo1_zps322e107c.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  76.4 KB

Originally Posted by Old Dog
You are very welcome dwdesign. I took the liberty of editing my DIY to include your technique as per the Bentley manual. Always good to have a Plan "B".

Take care!

Quick Reply: DIY: How to replace rear tail light bulb (B7)