A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

electrical gremlins...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical gremlins...

Hi All,

I have a confusing electrical problem with a few symptoms and possible causes...and am hoping someone here might have some suggestions/answers!

Here are the facts:
My car battery is draining completely if the car is left alone for a day or two.
I don't see any lights on or any other obvious signs of drain when I leave the car.
My OEM bluetooth doesn't work anymore.
If I pull the radio fuse, the battery doesn't appear to drain (though I haven't left it alone for multiple days with the fuse pulled to check for sure).
I found rat poop and half-eaten pumpkin seeds under the hood when I opened it up for a jump the other day.
It's a 2007 A4 w/ RNS-E and OEM Bluetooth.

Main questions/thoughts:

Are there any radio specific wires under the hood that I can check to see if the rat may have chewed/shorted them out?

I understand the OEM bluetooth module is under the passenger seat and is difficult to replace - is there an easier way to just access it? Is there a fuse on the module itself anywhere that may be blown?

I'm planning on pulling out my multimeter to check if there's any current running to the radio when the car is off but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Does anyone have other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

Jon
Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default gremlins

does this start happening after rain or car wash?
there's a drain under the battery that clogs and water get inside the car under the passenger side carpet.
water climbs up to the electronics box in left side of engine compartment and damages the ecm relays keeping the circuit open even while the car is off
given the fact that the bluetooth is not working is possible water went inside the car under the passenger seat.
Attached Images     

Last edited by s4master1; 12-11-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s4master1
does this start happening after rain or car wash?
there's a drain under the battery that clogs and water get inside the car under the passenger side carpet.
water climbs up to the electronics box in left side of engine compartment and damages the ecm relays keeping the circuit open even while the car is off
could this also lead to the engine won't start hence blinking at the gear indicators at the instrument cluster?
VAG-COM diagnose mention about

Address 01: Engine
17925 - Power Supply Relay for ECU (J271 or J363): Electrical Malfunction
P1517 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

From your pictures, can you show the bigger view where the electronics box at the left side of engine compartment is?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Gremlins too

The bluetooth in my B7 seems to have died. Before it died, I noticed that sometimes it would take a few minutes after starting car before the "bluetooth on" tone, and that it would randomly disconnect. I thought it was my phone (Motorola Droid) causing the problem, but now it seems that it was the bluetooth module all along. How can I test?
Normally, when you press the "Mode" button in steering wheel, you get a message either "Insert phone" or "Please wait...". I don't get anything now.

Maybe unrelated to this, usually the radio display started with the station that it was on before shutting off, now the display starts right off with the memorized stations displayed. I tried resetting (holding on/off control) but it does not help. Unrelated?

Curiously, I looked at the fuses, and according to the list, fuses 5 and 8 are related to the phone (looked OK). But I noticed, 9 has no fuse but it's labeled (brake servo" or something like that. There's at least one other one that's labeled that had no fuse.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor

Hello from Rid-A-Rat!
Are you having issues with rats chewing on your expensive wires?? We have a solution for that very problem. We have created a device which after being installed, will keep any kind of chewing critter out of your engine area. You simply read the directions and install!
The product is guaranteed money back with no questions asked! Why not give us a call- 480-488-6820 or check out our web page at Rid-A-Rat.com.