A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas mileage

i know mileage has been discussed to death, but i am getting horrible gas mileage. im talking highway driving and still only getting about 220 miles on a tank (i guess about 14mpg). i drove into philly last night, which is about an hour and a half drive, and when i got home about 150miles later i was down to less than a quarter tank. I only have about 5300 miles on it, and i certainly do not drive her like a race car. i go about 5-10 over the speed limit (so on highways usually go about 70).

luckily on a normal day i have only have about 3 miles to commute to work, so a tank will last me a long time, but like i said, even on long trips my mileage is horrible.

i was in for my 5k service about 2 weeks ago, and asked my guy about it, and he said he would check it out. he told me that there was nothing wrong, and that im probably just a major leadfoot. but im not, and im just very unimpressed with my gas mileage so far. dont get me wrong, i love my car and couldnt be happier, except for this problem.

anyone have similar performance or any thoughts? i want to take it to another dealer to get their opinion, but the next closest one is about an hour away, so i cant get there just yet.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: gas mileage

cant tell you much about highway driving as i mostly drive in the city.... REAL (when I say real I mean real city light to light local driving WITHOUT a led foot) city driving I get 17mpg on average...when I do mixed driving I get about 22mpg. I've went on a few long trips and highway showed to be over 35mph
Old 12-22-2005, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default maybe its not that bad then...

cause most of my driving is city driving, and it isn't much worse than that 17mpg, especially with the emphasis you put on not being a leadfoot. i cant say im the most conservative driver, but im not racing from every light.

i was just expecting numbers to be in the mid to upper 20's. as long as there is nothing wrong with the car, i can live with the mileage it gets because it is such a sweet ride.

thanks for your input!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just got 22mpg mixed usage on first full tank of gas...

this is with a tip, and trying to drive somewhat conservatively (for first 1000 miles). S mode about 50% of the time.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You "guess 14 mpg" - I don't mean to be crtical, but calculating your mpg's can't be left to any kind of ballpark guesses. I have found over the years that you cannot depend on the fuel gauge, or any built-in computer for mpg's. The only way to accurately calculate your mpg is to keep a detailed record of every drop that goes in and the exact odometer reading when the tank was filled. For about the last 10 years I have maintained an Excel spreadsheet for each car I've had and enter the odometer reading and the number of gallons everytime I fill up. Also, never put "just a few dollars worth in" because that will screw up your fill-up to fill-up calculations. Also, make sure that you fill the tank each time to the same degree. I have a rule of stopping the fueling the first time it clicks off, this way it is a consistent measure. My spreadsheet shows mpg for the last tankful as well as mpg from day one.
For my 06 A4 2.0QTip I have gotten 22.8 overall for 2,600 miles and 21.5 for the last tank that included a couple of trips into Manhattan. Best ever was a trip (with 1300 miles on the odometer at the start) to Montreal - about 720 miles total and got one tankful that was 25.8 mpg - maybe wiht more miles on the car it will get better. I'm an old fart not a leadfoot.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 AM

Based upon calculating it by hand (as opposed to using the trip computer), I'm getting about 24-26 mpg in mixed driving. I recently did a road trip that included almost one full tank's worth of freeway driving (generally at 75-95 mph, with long cruises at 85+), and I got 30 mpg on that tank.

My worst mileage included driving around San Francisco, with lots of steep hills included. (The car flew nicely up the sides of Russian Hill and Pacific Heights, by the way.) I didn't measure it specifically, but based upon the tank of fuel used during that cycle, I'm guessing that I got about 20 mpg for that segment.

When I use the cruise control at 72 mph on the highway, the trip computer tells me that I'm getting 34-35 mpg, but I suspect that this might be a bit optimistic.

So it sounds as if you have a problem, I would definitely have it checked out. I would try to take a road trip with some lengthy use of cruise control, and see what happens.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default and I thought my dad was the only one on the planet that did that

...the guy has a record of every friggin drop of gas he has put in his cars over the last 30 years. Unfortunately he is not computer saavy enough to compile it in spreadsheet format.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the color. Quartz has been shown to get the best mileage
Old 12-22-2005, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Definitely. I once got 35.5mpg (measured at the pump) in my Quartz. Color makes all the difference.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

06 2.0T Avant Tip - I now have a little under 5k on the car and typically get between 21 and 24 mpg on mixed driving. I have seen 28mpg on extended hwy miles. All calculated from fill ups and trip meter.

Quick Reply: gas mileage