A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Getting a 2008 A4 S-Line Convertible for FREE!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a 2008 A4 S-Line Convertible for FREE!

Bad engine. Ex-wife didn't change the oil for TWO YEARS!

She says its a 3.2 with 66,000 miles. But I only see a V8 in the S-Line for 2008. I think that she had them put S-line trim in a regular A4. That would explain it.

Or, was there a 3.2 S-Line? It is AWD and has the Auto/Triptronic.

Are these my options?
1. Rebuild engine.
2. Replace engine with a freshly rebuilt 3.2 engine.
3. Swap engine with a 2.7t - What other "projects" would this requre? Engine Management, wiring harness, etc.
4. Swap engine with ? What else would fit that would be worthy and fairly straightforward?

I don't yet know the particulars of how she determined the engine was bad. But she got a $6500 quote from somewhere that should know (or maybe they are taking advantage of a woman).

One place I called, said that maybe pouring in a synthetic oil would get the chains freed up. He said the engines are strong and relatively bulletproof. He doubts its trashed.

To pull/replace the engine, don't you have to remove the entire front end of the car?

As far as my wrenching skills, I've pulled a Miata motor and replaced it with a crate engine for my Spec Miata racer. I can generally put things back together that I take apart.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ex-Wife says: Loud rattling for about the last week. I pulled out of garage in reverse and the rattling was a bit louder. Put it in drive and while rolling into the garage, the dials went dark and the car went silent. No lurching or hiccups. Just a quiet death. Repairs prior to that point was to fix and engine rod and at the time, the guy told me "the next thing to go will be the timing chain." The guy who quoted $6500 replacement said that it was another rod that went.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mo

Originally Posted by INZAudi
Ex-Wife says: Loud rattling for about the last week. I pulled out of garage in reverse and the rattling was a bit louder. Put it in drive and while rolling into the garage, the dials went dark and the car went silent. No lurching or hiccups. Just a quiet death. Repairs prior to that point was to fix and engine rod and at the time, the guy told me "the next thing to go will be the timing chain." The guy who quoted $6500 replacement said that it was another rod that went.
more detail: I visited the car and confirmed it as a 3.2 s-line convertible 2008.
i plan to drop the engine and trans together. How much height do I need? Is a lift imperative?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pull it out the front. Buy a junkyard motor and put it back in. A 2.7t is a big job and better left for the carcass of an S4.

The dials going dark is not good. Are you stating the dials just went to rest or that all the lights went dark and the dash had no power?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No such thing as FREE!

Unfortunately, the saga continues. I found a 50k 3.2L motor for $1600 and a shop to install it for $1000. After the install, the test had the catalytic converters glowing red hot after 12 minutes. Then, it would run and rev, but had no/little power to move.
I was told the Cats had melted and needed to be replaced.
Replaced with new cats.
Now they are saying the ECU and Trans Control Module are bad and suspect water damage. (Note: there is standing water in the car and the windows won't roll down and other electronics seem compromised.)

Ex-wife/previous owner does not know of any flooding issues.

1. Do these guys know what they are doing?
2. Am I being taken for a ride?
3. Does this sound like a car that has been the victim of a flood?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

IF I replace the ECU, does it need to be convertible-specific or is BKH A4 B7 specific enough? Does it have to involve the dealer to work right? Or, is it plug and play?