A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDI has extended their warranty to cover this issue!

Hello, there

About 2-3 months ago, I received a letter saying that Audi has extended their warranty to cover the camshaft/high pressure fuel pump issue. If you're working through an Audi dealer/service dept, they should be able to help you with everything. If you're working with an independent mechanic, pls call either Audi of America or your closest Audi dealership and they should be able to make sure that you receive the proper paperwork so that you can file your claim and have the problem repaired, under warranty.

I filed my paperwork about 2 months ago and just received a check for the full amount. Audi has redeemed themselves in my eyes.

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any questions!
Piscesxxi

Originally Posted by pvc
DEALER NOT UP FRONT ABOUT ISSUE WITH MY MECH.(WHO BUYS LOTS OF PARTS FROM SAME DEALER) I GOT LETTER SAME DAY PARTS ORDERED RE; WARRANTY EXTENSION AND MY MECH ASKED POINT BLANK IF THERE WERE ISSUES WITH THESE PARTS (RECALLS ETC.) AND WAS TOLD NO. BY DEALERSHIP. WHO DO THEY THINK THEY'RE FOOLING? TRUTH IN ENGINEERING THEY DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUTH!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My Audi A4 is the biggest piece of **** alive. I havent had 1 person completely happy with their A4 that ive talked to. I have had this car for around 3 years now and have had to replace the coil packs twice, water pump, timing belt, 4 axles, oh cant forget the peice of **** transmission in this car. TCM had to be replaced... twice, now im dealing with this camshaft / hpfp problem. WTF!I dont even know why the parts are so ****ing expensive. They dont even ****ing last! First and last Audi i will ever buy. Do yourself a favor, drive your audi off a cliff or leave it parked somewhere with the keys in it and go get a ****ing Honda.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 1POS Audi A$
My Audi A4 is the biggest piece of **** alive. I havent had 1 person completely happy with their A4 that ive talked to. I have had this car for around 3 years now and have had to replace the coil packs twice, water pump, timing belt, 4 axles, oh cant forget the peice of **** transmission in this car. TCM had to be replaced... twice, now im dealing with this camshaft / hpfp problem. WTF!I dont even know why the parts are so ****ing expensive. They dont even ****ing last! First and last Audi i will ever buy. Do yourself a favor, drive your audi off a cliff or leave it parked somewhere with the keys in it and go get a ****ing Honda.
It sounds like you got a lemon, an incompetent dealer or both of the above, 1POS Audi A$.

Despite what some disgruntled, judgmental North American Audi buyers, financiers and leasers on the message boards you mislead people to believe, these bad experiences are only typical of Audis from 1984 to 1990 and especially from 1998 to 2004. Otherwise, the opposite experience is typical of Audi. Just check Consumer Reports and True Delta. And, ignore those idiots at JD Power and Associates unless what they say 100% matches what Consumer Reports and True Delta say.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If your A4 has 80K miles and you bought it used the warranty still remains. 10 years or 120K. I have the same letter and it clearly states," This warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners.

Call Audi.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Help on repair info High Pressure Fuel Pump and Follower

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
It takes around 6 to 9 hours for an average tech to replace the intake camshaft and high pressure fuel pump follower (and high pressure fuel pump if it is damaged) on this 2.0L TFSI engine. The labor charge will depend on where you live. In my area, Audi dealer charges around 175 to 210 US$/hr. so $1500-2000 for the job is not high. If your car mileage is high, i would ask them to do timing belt and water pump at the same time to save some labor charge.
Hi I was wondering if you got a quote for the parts cost for this repair as well? I just got a quote for this and the labor is in alignment with what you are saying but for the parts I was told originally $1870 and then when I asked for a breakdown of the parts cost item by item it was $1300 so I feel like something is fishy! I have asked for a detailed invoice of parts and part numbers so I am waiting now, but wondered if you have the info?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathleen Weber
Hi I was wondering if you got a quote for ...........
Have you checked if your car falls within warranty first?

That price isn't that far off if it includes labor. There might be taxes and fees that aren't mentioned in the itemized quote they gave ya.

Call around. Dealer and independent audi/vw mechanics' pricing may differ quite a bit.

Good luck
Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You think that you have problems?

I just got caught up in this drama myself. My graduating senior needed to upgrade from his 1998 2.8 A4 hand me down so his brother could drive something. We found a super clean 2005.5 A4 2.0Twith 160k from a local private party. It turns out that we have multiple friends in common. She had all the service records as the original owner. All 42 times she was in, religiously changing the oil every 5-7K, plus a lot of other work that they sold her. VCDS shows no codes (amazing). Car drives straight and strong without any funny noises or vibrations. Brought it to my trusted indy Audi tech and the once over on the hoist shows nothing wrong. Good road test. Top end of the engine looks spotless through the oil filler. So I bought the car at a good price.

In less than 300 miles of ownership, car developed a slight knock at the back of the engine. I am leaving out of town so I tell my wife to drive to the local tech the next day to check it out. Two miles from home the engine just lets go with some kind of awful loud noise. She does the sensible thing an stops right away and calls for a flat bed. What does my tech finds (see photos)
1. Rounded camshaft lobes for HP fuel pump
2. Worn cam follower
3. Collapsed cam chain tensioner and chain needs replacement (no photo)
4. Oil screens to chain tensioner blocked with metal (no photo)
5. Metal shavings in the pan
6. Brass in the pickup
7. Cooked sludge line around the oil level runs right over bearing on the lower end

Diagnosis: I need a new engine and turbo.

What caused this: The cam worn quickly once it got past the hardened layer. Frequent oil changes made the engine last for 160K Once the metal plugged the screen that goes to the cam tensioner, it lost oil pressure and collapsed. That was the big noise

What has Audi revised on the 2.0T
1. Hardened camshaft
2. Revised cam tensioner with ratchet (will not collapse)
3. Revised oil pickup
4. lower compression (engine runs cooler, does not bake oil)

Since this engine has known issues (Audi was ordered to extend the warranty to 10 years and 120,000 miles) I contacted Audi customer assistance and asked for some help. They first directed me to the local dealer. Since the car was a frequent guest, I was hopeful. He said without Audi stepping up, the best he can do is offer me an engine and turbo at cost. I contacted Audi customer assistance again and asked for some goodwill assistance here. I reminded the nice CSR that:
1. Car was bought from a known party, one owner
2. This engine has known problems, hence the extended warranty and the multiple revisions to it design (that are publicly know, perhaps there are more)
3. This is our fourth registered Audi currently in the household, yes 4 Audi's under one roof
4. I have been driving Audi's for 20 years
5. The car was meticulously maintained at the dealer
6. This is my son's first "new" car

At this point I am awaiting word from Audi. I am not hoping for an extension of the warranty, just for a discount on parts.

Why am I sharing this story: if you have one of these vehicles, perhaps an inspection was in order. If you are in the market, caveat emptor; a simple borescope inspection up the oil drain, would have caught this.

In the meantime, enjoy these photos
Attached Thumbnails HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!-img_0391.jpg   HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!-img_0392.jpg   HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!-img_0393.jpg   HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!-img_0409.jpg   HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!-img_0410.jpg  

HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!-img_0411.jpg