A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM
tum
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a A4 06 model, i had the same problem yesterday and the dealer told that it will cost me over 3000$ to fix it.My car has only 42k miles and it is out of warranty.Is there any thing that i can do considering that this is Audis manufacturing defect.Please reply
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue. It is common for the cam shafts to go bad on them. But sometimes if you lucky it's just the sensor. I recommend if Audi hasn't told you for sure it was the cams that you replace the sensor first.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default VW has the same issues

I just went through the same issue - $2600 - but it was under warranty. If the area VW dealers have a lower hourly rate talk to one of them as my dealer indicated VW has the same issue.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cam follower

I feel for all of you, but when you drive a car from a company that is a leader in new technology you will see this kind of things' is easier for somebody to follow than to lead, mistakes are made solutions are found but you continue
you want to avoid this' buy a car wath carburator, ignition points and push rod engine
any old gas station will be able to fixed at a very low cost to you
we see a large number of this failures and are suggesting oil changes in the 2.0 engines at 4000 miles and we are using 10-50 synthetic oil which is fine here in Los Angeles as temperatures never drop to freezing point
Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Former Vendor

Unfortunately it's a pretty common problem. It requires some very routine inspection of the cam follower to prevent this from happening. We've had to fix several of these for people locally and it is an involved job.

See if there's an independent in your area that might be able to do the job for less. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default PLEASE READ if your CAMSHAFT and HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP have worn out prematurely

AUDI OWNERS WHO ARE FACING THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE READ!

12% of AUDIs (between about 2005 and 2007) have this problem. We need to force Audi's hand to get this resolved and to get Audi to take responsibility.

I have a 2006 A4 with 44k miles on it and my camshaft and fuel pump just blew. I was quoted $2400 to fix it.

I have done hours of research and spoken to about 4 different techs, one of whom is a former tech and a relative of mine who was willing to give details.

Basically, around 2005-2007, Audi grew wildly in popularity and the demand for parts was very high. The manufacturer of the cam lobes that they usually used was not able to meet this higher demand so they contracted with a second manufacturer for 12% of the cam lobes. Apparently the 12% were made of a different metal and this metal doesn't work properly with the camshaft and causes extremely premature wearing out of the camshaft AND the high pressure fuel pump.

My car has 44k miles on it and has been driven gingerly and both of these parts now need replacing. Since my car is now over the 4 years included in the warranty, Audi of America is saying that they are not willing to cover the repair even though it is a manufacturing issue, not a normal wear issue.

Needless to say, I am livid. So, if are having/have had this issue, you are not alone. In fact, you are one of the 12% of Audi owners that have encountered this problem. I have spoken to Audi of America about the fact that this is clearly a recall issue and they have told me that I should go ahead and get the problem fixed and to keep my receipts b/c there's "always the possibility that this will be a recall issue in the future." They are very aware of the problem but my guess is that many of us who have encountered this, have either had it covered by the warranty or have not been aware of what a large problem this is among Audi owners.

We need to get together and force Audi's hand on this issue. I bought my Audi b/c of the excellent customer service I had heard so much about. Well, this clearly does not constitute excellent customer service.

I am seriously considering contacting a class action attorney but need to hear from more of you who have had/are having this problem. Please email me at audiproblem@gmail.com. I'm keeping a folder of folks who let me know about this and will contact everyone as a group to discuss what should be done about this issue.

Many thanks all!

Originally Posted by tum
I am having a A4 06 model, i had the same problem yesterday and the dealer told that it will cost me over 3000$ to fix it.My car has only 42k miles and it is out of warranty.Is there any thing that i can do considering that this is Audis manufacturing defect.Please reply
Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One additional note: During discussions with Audi of America, they admit that the camshaft and the HPFP in most Audis don't wear out until around 120k miles, if at all. They readily admit that these parts wearing out at 40k miles is extremely premature but, thus far, have not been willing to do anything about it.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Include me. I still haven't gotten my car fixed. Was unemployed for awhile and am just now catching up on paying other bills off. There is a Facebook page on this problem and people from all over have been on there and posted the same issue. I'd gladly sign in on the class action suit. Audi has handled this problem terribly and know they used a defective part. I bought my '06 A4 with 38k miles on it and had warranty left for another 6 months when bought. Since buying I have had to deal with the "dipped headlamp" issue as well, with them knowing that the headlamp issue is a problem too. I drove a '04 TT for awhile and can remember having a fuel sensor problem too, along with something else more major. At least the car was under warranty then. Bottom line is that the cam-follower or lobe if you will is defective, early B7 models, they know about it, they know they used a cheaper part $30 usually, sent a service bulletin after the fact, tell customers they are out of luck etc. Garbage customer service for a problem that occurs prematurely and can add up to thousands per incident. And yes, if I was made aware of the "possible" problem and that it "may occur" then I would have certainly have had the $30 part inspected before the $1500-2k fix occured. As for the dope above that says these things happen when "you lead" and "not follow" that's about as stupid as stupid get's. PM me and we can exchange info and contact.

Regards
Old 12-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
Unfortunately it's a pretty common problem. It requires some very routine inspection of the cam follower to prevent this from happening. We've had to fix several of these for people locally and it is an involved job.

See if there's an independent in your area that might be able to do the job for less. Good luck!
Your an idiot.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by imtimmy
Your an idiot.
Sorry, your not an idiot, the dope who posted above you is an idiot. He doesn't work for you does he?

Quick Reply: HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!