A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact me for class action pursuit.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was the early B7's that had the cam follower issues. I'm at 29,XXX miles, I should probably check/replace it huh
Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PiscesXXI
AUDI OWNERS WHO ARE FACING THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE READ!

12% of AUDIs (between about 2005 and 2007) have this problem. We need to force Audi's hand to get this resolved and to get Audi to take responsibility.

I have a 2006 A4 with 44k miles on it and my camshaft and fuel pump just blew. I was quoted $2400 to fix it.

I have done hours of research and spoken to about 4 different techs, one of whom is a former tech and a relative of mine who was willing to give details.

Basically, around 2005-2007, Audi grew wildly in popularity and the demand for parts was very high. The manufacturer of the cam lobes that they usually used was not able to meet this higher demand so they contracted with a second manufacturer for 12% of the cam lobes. Apparently the 12% were made of a different metal and this metal doesn't work properly with the camshaft and causes extremely premature wearing out of the camshaft AND the high pressure fuel pump.

My car has 44k miles on it and has been driven gingerly and both of these parts now need replacing. Since my car is now over the 4 years included in the warranty, Audi of America is saying that they are not willing to cover the repair even though it is a manufacturing issue, not a normal wear issue.

Needless to say, I am livid. So, if are having/have had this issue, you are not alone. In fact, you are one of the 12% of Audi owners that have encountered this problem. I have spoken to Audi of America about the fact that this is clearly a recall issue and they have told me that I should go ahead and get the problem fixed and to keep my receipts b/c there's "always the possibility that this will be a recall issue in the future." They are very aware of the problem but my guess is that many of us who have encountered this, have either had it covered by the warranty or have not been aware of what a large problem this is among Audi owners.

We need to get together and force Audi's hand on this issue. I bought my Audi b/c of the excellent customer service I had heard so much about. Well, this clearly does not constitute excellent customer service.

I am seriously considering contacting a class action attorney but need to hear from more of you who have had/are having this problem. Please email me at audiproblem@gmail.com. I'm keeping a folder of folks who let me know about this and will contact everyone as a group to discuss what should be done about this issue.

Many thanks all!
I am sorry, but 12% is very little. The number of Audi financiers, leasers and owners that do not have this problem is 7 1/3 times that of those who do. You are dreaming if you think a class action suit is doing to more than little good.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Camshaft issue affects at least 31,500 Audi owners - could be thousands more.

Thank you for your concern but I'm willing to take my chances. According to my records, there are at least another 31,499 Audi owners that are in the same boat and my guess is that they'd prefer not to get their chains yanked by a car manufacturer that is supposed to be one of the best in the world. According to past class action law suits, 31,499 plaintiffs is not an insignificant number in the least. Just be grateful that you're one of the other 88%.

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
I am sorry, but 12% is very little. The number of Audi financiers, leasers and owners that do not have this problem is 7 1/3 times that of those who do. You are dreaming if you think a class action suit is doing to more than little good.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

According to my research, the B7 engine covers the years 2004-2008. My car is an early year 2006 and I've recently encountered the problem. One of the techs that I spoke with said that he's seen a couple of 2007s with the problem as well so it seems as though it spans the entire B7 family. Yes, I would strongly suggest tacking any precautionary measures possible. Otherwise you're looking at a $2400 repair! Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Cornercarver82
I thought it was the early B7's that had the cam follower issues. I'm at 29,XXX miles, I should probably check/replace it huh
Old 12-11-2010, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FSI

I really don't see the big deal here, so a few followers are failing prematurely.
We see a good number of cars at our shop and only a handful actually failed, all of the failed cars have bad maintenance history, the ones maintained properly with good oil are working fine, 40k miles service we inspect the followers and suggest to replace even if they look ok to be safe, replacing it is only 200.00 repair, changing your oil is inexpensive compared to the damage it can create.
one thing is that the 2.0 as the 1.8 till this date takes so little oil and most of the time they are low due to usage of oil
the 6,8 and 10 cylinder engines don't have this problem.
we suggest our customers to change the oil every 4k miles and make sure is of a good brand synthetic 100%
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Here is the perfect example of what a great tech would do!

Thanks for your comments here and I agree with you on a couple of points.

If by "a few" you mean at least 35,000 followers are failing prematurely, then you'd be correct. It's more than just a few here and there and it's been proven that it's due to the incorrect metal being used, not poor maintenance.

My car has 44k miles on it and has been meticulously and perfectly taken care of since purchase. I've changed the oil every 3-4k miles religiously and been in for every scheduled maintenance at a certified Audi dealership with a terrific service record.

It sounds as though you are a tech who is very on top of the issue...I only wish that my Audi techs had checked for the problem and mentioned the possibility of the problem. No one mentioned it to me until I brought my car in because the follower had broken through and my car started driving like an '85 Honda.

I hope that you will share your terrific practice with other Audi techs. You are really doing your customers a great service. I wish you were my tech.

All the best,

Originally Posted by s4master1
I really don't see the big deal here, so a few followers are failing prematurely.
We see a good number of cars at our shop and only a handful actually failed, all of the failed cars have bad maintenance history, the ones maintained properly with good oil are working fine, 40k miles service we inspect the followers and suggest to replace even if they look ok to be safe, replacing it is only 200.00 repair, changing your oil is inexpensive compared to the damage it can create.
one thing is that the 2.0 as the 1.8 till this date takes so little oil and most of the time they are low due to usage of oil
the 6,8 and 10 cylinder engines don't have this problem.
we suggest our customers to change the oil every 4k miles and make sure is of a good brand synthetic 100%
Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PiscesXXI
Thanks for your comments here and I agree with you on a couple of points.

If by "a few" you mean at least 35,000 followers are failing prematurely, then you'd be correct. It's more than just a few here and there and it's been proven that it's due to the incorrect metal being used, not poor maintenance.

My car has 44k miles on it and has been meticulously and perfectly taken care of since purchase. I've changed the oil every 3-4k miles religiously and been in for every scheduled maintenance at a certified Audi dealership with a terrific service record.

It sounds as though you are a tech who is very on top of the issue...I only wish that my Audi techs had checked for the problem and mentioned the possibility of the problem. No one mentioned it to me until I brought my car in because the follower had broken through and my car started driving like an '85 Honda.

I hope that you will share your terrific practice with other Audi techs. You are really doing your customers a great service. I wish you were my tech.

All the best,
This is an Audi issue in my opinion - The tech says his facility does preemtive service and the cost is $200. Obviously Audi is aware of the problem but my Audi dealer doesn't do what his dealership does - my repair was covered under my extended warranty and was not the first repair they saw - one was done with mileage in the 20's and the 2006s were covered under Audi's free service so I doubt services were skimped on. The best of companies screw up but the great ones make things right.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well said!

elliotl,

Well said!

Happy holidays and a very healthy 2011 to you!

Originally Posted by elliotl
This is an Audi issue in my opinion - The tech says his facility does preemtive service and the cost is $200. Obviously Audi is aware of the problem but my Audi dealer doesn't do what his dealership does - my repair was covered under my extended warranty and was not the first repair they saw - one was done with mileage in the 20's and the 2006s were covered under Audi's free service so I doubt services were skimped on. The best of companies screw up but the great ones make things right.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

CAMSHAFT and HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP have worn out prematurely

I'm writting in responce of your posting regarding probles with the A4 Audi. I will give my information and support in case of a lawsuit against Audi. I have a 2006 A4 2.0 T Quattro FSI with 80k miles on it and I am experiencing problems with the camshaft ful pump and so forth. I bought the car used out of warranty and I am faceing a big expense now. I feel that this must be recalled by Audi. I use to have a 97 A4 1.8 Quattro and I know that there is already a class action for 1996-2000 A4 modesl for oil sludge engine damages. It will be good if Audi owners could come toghether and start a class action regarding the damages and cost for camshaft and pressure fuel pump. And I bet that if the Audi said 12% Audi owners have this problem (due to the 12% camshaft manufactured by another company)it must be a lot more cars with the same problem out there.

Quick Reply: HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP/CAMSHAFT PROBLEM!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!