A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5
Old 07-22-2016, 01:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Just bought a used 2008 A4! Looking for a new community have a bunch of questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a used 2008 A4! Looking for a new community have a bunch of questions

Hello everybody!

First off, this is my 'first' car. Since I got my license, I've been driving my mom's 2005 Acura RL. Well, since I've moved across the nation to Michigan for college, my parents decided it would be best if I get a new car since I'm no longer living in the dorms. Rather than get a new Honda Accord or something of that sort, I convinced my parents to let me get a used car.

After looking at cars, I settled on a used 2008 A4 Quattro (For the snow since I live in Texas so I don't have any experience driving in the snow).

The Audi was bought from an Audi dealership in Houston and still has the 6 year/100k factory warranty.

So, first off; is there anything I need to know about the A4? Anything special, etc? What are the biggest 'differences' in driving and what makes them special to drive?

Second off, I have a few problems;

1. The trim (I think?) on top of the steering wheel seems to be rattling at various speeds. I hope this is covered by the warranty. It's not really *too* noticable, but I figured since its my first car, I might as well be as picky as possible.

2. The speedometer calibration is off by a good 4-5 mph. I'm not sure how normal this is, but my friends and I tested this on various police speedometers (the ones that display the speed for you to slow down in neighborhoods). We tested my other car which showed the correct speed. Once again, I hope this is covered by the warranty.

3. The A/C smells sometimes when I initially turn it on. This should be a fairly fix, which once again, should be covered under the warranty. It's probably the air filter, but you never know.

4. When I come off the brakes slightly, it makes a little bit of noise. You all have heard this noise, almost every car I've driven has the noise but I was wondering if there was a way to minimize it.

Last, even though I've already bought the car, I read another post on here which says to never trust the carfax. I'm not experienced with cars at all (Despite studying to be a mechanical Engineer), so I'm not really sure what all to look out for to see if the car has been abused. I'd just like to know for reference.

Thank you all!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, I'm a proud owner of VW Jetta, and now looking into buying 2nd car. Audi A4 is now at the top of the list now. I'm living in Houston/TX, and looking for price quote on A4 B7. How much did you pay for it, if you dont mind asking. Any special negotiation tactics ?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Neotriple
Hello everybody!

So, first off; is there anything I need to know about the A4? Anything special, etc? What are the biggest 'differences' in driving and what makes them special to drive? Nothing real different from other cars, The AWD will help you go in the snow, just remember it does not help with braking or steering. It also is nice when the roads are wet. Watch your oil consumption as some people's cars eat a lot of oil while others very little to none. Change the oil as recommended and use an approved oi.

Second off, I have a few problems;

1. The trim (I think?) on top of the steering wheel seems to be rattling at various speeds. I hope this is covered by the warranty. It's not really *too* noticable, but I figured since its my first car, I might as well be as picky as possible. Make sure it is snapped all the way in. Not sure, but I don't think this is covered under the warrenty.

2. The speedometer calibration is off by a good 4-5 mph. I'm not sure how normal this is, but my friends and I tested this on various police speedometers (the ones that display the speed for you to slow down in neighborhoods). We tested my other car which showed the correct speed. Once again, I hope this is covered by the warranty. I just noticed mine is off about 3 miles an hor. I am researching this and if I find anythign I will let you know.

3. The A/C smells sometimes when I initially turn it on. This should be a fairly fix, which once again, should be covered under the warranty. It's probably the air filter, but you never know. Change the cabin filter as I have read they can cause this. You also my have a little mold (nothing to freak out about) in the HVAC system. There is a kit you can buy to treat this and it is suppose to work well.

4. When I come off the brakes slightly, it makes a little bit of noise. You all have heard this noise, almost every car I've driven has the noise but I was wondering if there was a way to minimize it. Mine doesn't really make any noise. I am guessing that maybe your pads are taking a secnd to back of the rotors causing the noise. When time to replace use a quality pad (maybe the previous owner/dealer put on the cheapest pads)

Last, even though I've already bought the car, I read another post on here which says to never trust the carfax. I'm not experienced with cars at all (Despite studying to be a mechanical Engineer), so I'm not really sure what all to look out for to see if the car has been abused. I'd just like to know for reference. Just look at the codition of the car. A car that has few or very minor dings and scratches and little interior wear has probably been pretty well taken care of. Not a sure thing though

Thank you all!
Not sure I should have help a Michigan student since I am a Iowa Hawkeye fan
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nothing major that isnt covered on the 08 B7 (I have one too).

The cam follower issue is now a warranty item so if/when that craps out your covered for 10yrs now.

CarFax are notoriously *missing* information. I know because when I sold my car to get the A4, it was clean, and I know for a fact it was the middle layer of a 20mph car sandwich a few years back.

The only real issue you'd be looking for is frame damage, which you probably would have noticed driving it. For piece of mind, pull out the trunk liner and spare tire to see the sheetmetal inside the trunk near the back of the car...you will be able to see any work that has been done.

In general, these are great cars and not nearly the mechanical nightmare some make them out to be. On the other hand, if your extended warranty goes to 6yrs, your in luck....if/when she does break, she's expensive to fix.

...and that doesnt relate only to the B7.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. Get used to rattles, the A4 has a fair share of them, you will be lucky to get something like that covered under warranty. Same will happen when some of your trim starts peeling, not covered under warranty.

2. It's normal, not going to be covered under warranty.

3. Change your filter, even if it does end up being mold, don't expect it to be covered under warranty.

4. Not sure on the noise, probably nothing to worry about.

The 100k warranty is NOT the factory warranty, but a CPO warranty. Keep up on regular maintenance (a lot of it is easy DIY) and the car will treat you well.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kikikuku
Hi, I'm a proud owner of VW Jetta, and now looking into buying 2nd car. Audi A4 is now at the top of the list now. I'm living in Houston/TX, and looking for price quote on A4 B7. How much did you pay for it, if you dont mind asking. Any special negotiation tactics ?
Hey!

I ended up paying 24 driveout. The car has 32k miles and it's the Quattro version which does include a fairly hefty premium since there aren't too many in stock around town. I got free all weather mats and a few other things. If you want specifics feel free to let me know. I'm at work right now.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by kikikuku
Hey!

I ended up paying 24 driveout. The car has 32k miles and it's the Quattro version which does include a fairly hefty premium since there aren't too many in stock around town. I got free all weather mats and a few other things. If you want specifics feel free to let me know. I'm at work right now.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

New update guys! (Disappointing unfortunately)

Okay; so I was going through the package I was given at the dealership when I signed for the car. I was told the car passed inspection with flying colors and nothing was wrong with the car.

I opened the package up today to check some information about the Radio Code (More about that later). In the back was an inspection saying the Air Filter needed to be replaced as did the front two brake rotors (I believe?) and the tires said something about "Cooper" tires. I'm a little disappointed the salesman just 'forgot' to let me know about this. Obviously it was my fault for singing for the car but I still feel cheated since he stuck ti in the back and told me everything was fine. The cost on those apparently (according to that piece of paper) is coming out to be about $500. The date is marked about a month ago (April 26th).

Anybody have any recommendations on what to do before I go to the dealer tomorrow?

Also, he told me I would have complimentary loaner cars even though I wasn't 21. Apparently that was also a straight up lie. This is disheartening to say the least...
Old 06-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check your tires. A4's came with Pirelli (spl?) it think standard. If you have Cooper tires then those are replacements. I am not a big fan of Cooper tires, but as long as they are in good shape then it shouldn't be a big deal. Hard to say they "screwed" you on that part since they are right there on the car.

Most rental comapnies will not rent (loan) to anyone under 21. Sales guy probably did not know that (or as you stated flat lied to you). Usually they are just prgrammed to spew the benefits of buying at their dealership.

Might also want to make sure the dealer didn't replace those items in the time they had the car. It is possible you are looking at their intake inspection. Check the rotors out and see if they look okay (no groover and still full thickness)and if the air filter has been replaced.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rhodes991
Not sure I should have help a Michigan student since I am a Iowa Hawkeye fan
Just 2 real quick things to add:
1. rhodes is correct about braking - AWD doesn't make a darn bit of diff - but AWD does help with steering. Having those front wheels "dig" out of hairy situations is quite pleasing
2. High speedo calibration is very common. Not sure how the practice became so common, but it is. Thankfully, the odometer calibration is not so commonly high. The speedo thing is actually so common that a secondary market has been created by it. ie -
http://www.yellr.com/

Cheers!