A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Just got my B7....BUT

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my B7....BUT

the seat belt chime is killing me Larrys. Please help me get rid of it so that I can enjoy this incredible ride. If you have VAG device and live in So. Cal, please help. Thank you.

I love to post some pics but I can't multitask. I need to get rid of this chime before I can do anything. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:31 PM

me too, it drives me nuts
Old 09-25-2005, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do some/most/no dealers offer to vag a car at delivery?

I plan to have this done (and the auto doorlocks) as part of the delivery. It doesn't cost them anything to do this other than 5 minutes, right?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No - liability thing

I talked to one of the mechanics here and he said that they won't do it because of liability. Think of it, them disabling a "safety" feature.....
Old 09-26-2005, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Here's the solution.

The solution to disengaging the "fasten seat belt" reminder "chime" is to simply fasten the seat belt aound your person. Perhaps the "chime" is a pain in the ear because that's what it's designed for. It's incredible, but people still drive around without wearing seat belts; even worse, I occasionally see children riding/standing in cars without them on.

Frankly, having the "chime" to remind occupants to fasten their seat belts is a legal issue for auto manufacturers. Since their cars don't come equipped with the terrestrial equivalent of a flight attendant, manufacturers have to do everything under their control to ensure that occupants are reminded to wear seat belts. Otherwise, if some foolhearty person doesn't put their belt on and is injured as a result, they can claim for damages under theories of negligence, strict liability (violation of law), hidden defect, and product liability. However, as a result of installing the belts, written warnings throughout the car and manual, and the "chime", car manufacturers can claim in such instances that such foolhearty persons "assumed the risk" of not wearing their seat belt.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Or get a second insert for the seatbelt

Noticed that a taxi was using a "dummy" insert to turn off the chime.

I could not drive around with that chime going off continously as a 3/4 inch mapbook is heavy enough to trigger the thing. It wouldn't be bad if the sensor would go off if there was at least ten pounds on the seat vs a book.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:09 AM

Default I wasn't referring to the passenger seatbelt chime, I think that is a good safety feature...I was

referring to situations were I am sitting in the car while it is running (idling) and unbuckle my seatbelt...the chime seems to go off every 15 secs or so. And I always make sure passengers in my car are wearing their seatbelts, and I would do this with or without the chime.

You make a very good point about the legal protection afforded to auto manufacturers by using the chime...I hadn;t thought about it that way,
Old 09-26-2005, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm really glad for the chime, reminds me to buckle up in garage, reading mail
Old 09-26-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: No - liability thing

Both of my Mazdas had the chime. All I had to do was take it to the dealer. He had me sign some sort of waiver and tada!! No chime!! I asked my Audi dealer about it and even told him about the waiver Mazda provides, and they still said no. I always wear my belt when driving, but I frequently have to pull over, unbuckle, reach around for files in the back, and jot notes down when I receive some calls, and it becomes VERY annoying to me and the person I am speaking to. I wouldn't be a problem if it only did it when in Drive, not Park!!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I doubt Audi will ever use a waiver like what Mazda does

Safest way for Audi is to do nothing unfortunately.