A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Lease up in 5 weeks, many OVER miles, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lease up in 5 weeks, many OVER miles, HELP!

Hey dudes and dudettes,

It seems like almost yesterday that I enthusiastically took pictures of my brand new car to share with all of you. In fact, it was nearly two years ago!

Sadly, it has come time to part ways with my car. I will do a huge writeup here for everyone pretty soon, but until then, I've got a problem: I'm about 15,000 miles over and my lease is up in 5 weeks!

What tips can you give me so that I don't take an insane hit come checkup day? Just replaced my tires (they were worn on the front), so I'm good there. Will clean the car the day of, make it look brand new, inside and out.

But what of the miles? What has been your experience? Someone suggested that if they say they want $4,000 for the extra miles, I should try to negotiate to buy the car with the $4,000 taken off the remaining price.

I need ideas, guys! HELP!

Cheers!

Henry
Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Why oh why would you lease a car knowing you would drive so much?!?!?!?!?

$.25 per mile over * 15000= $3,700.

Sorry Henry, but that the way it works.... my advice for you is to not lease a car in the future!

Good luck I hope your dealer lets you off easy!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Why oh why would you lease a car knowing you would drive so much?!?!?!?!?

Don't assume things. I leased it because it made business sense and it still does. However, at one point we were depending on this car solely, so that ate up a few thousand miles.

There are ways around this, it's not a "sorry Henry, too bad!" If you have nothing positive to add, simply don't.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just lease another Audi and they may give you a break.

Or you could've turned your lease in 3 mos ago as a trade to lease another. I am not sure if you can do it if your lease is due in 5 weeks.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Sell it before your lease ends

Depnding on what your residual is, you can probably sell for less of a loss than paying 25c a mile.

you can sell your car like any other car, just call AFS for your payoff and that is the price you pay to buy the car outright at any given moment. it doens't matter what kind of damage, tire wear, or mileage you have. the closer you get to the payoff the less money you lose. i don't know what your car would be worth w/ 15k excess miles, but it's worth a shot.

call AFS to get your payoff and then look up the market value of your car on edmunds or kbb.

you can also use it as a trade to get into another car. dealers may be able to buy it just like a private party, and then you don't have to deal w/ title issues or sales tax issues.

good luck
Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 PM

Default You can also "extend" a lease.

But the best bet is to just walk in asking to get into a new lease on a new car. Most dealers will then drop any over mileage charges on the first lease. I did this with a Honda with over 45k over miles and paid ZERO charges.

The only other thing to do is buy it out and then turn around and sell it or trade it in for something else.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and this is why I will never lease a car.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Sell it or trade it in. Do the math.

Meaning sell it privately or trade it in on another audi. Most dealers will eat the miles if you lease or buy another car from them. although your miles are WAY over what I would think is acceptable to a dealership to waive.

If you were say only 4-6k miles over, then I would see then eating the miles if you bought another car from them.

I would sell it privately and eat the cost that way instead of turning the car in and getting raped on the mileage. of course if it's .15/mi over and you have 15k miles over then the math would dictate that it be a $2250 hit when you turn the car in. If you sell it an lose more than that, you are better off turning it back in.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hoist onto axle stands, shift into reverse, and put a brick on the throttle!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 AM

sell it to a 3rd party

Quick Reply: Lease up in 5 weeks, many OVER miles, HELP!