A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Leasing Pitfalls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leasing Pitfalls?

I'm looking to lease a fully loaded A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line. Are there anything I should look out for besides keeping under their milage of 12k a year? Also, how much room is there to negotiate for the audi websites 15k they mention a year? Are there a ton of hidden fees for going this route?

Also, has anyone gone the Lease/Buy (Premier Purchase) option for their car?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Leasing Pitfalls?

not many hidden fees. i think my payment went up about $50 a month from what the salesman was quoting me (with tax) and what it really was after i signed. the only add on i bought was the free wheel/tire replacement. my dealer offered 12k, 15k, and 18k for the lease. it just depends on how much you want to pay, and of course how much you drive. i wasn't aware of the premier purchase, but my residual is $20,400, and i was told by the guys in finance that audi financial DOES NOT want your car back when it comes off lease, and they are more than willing to negotiate a price below the residual. when my lease is up im going to have it certified and then offer just over wholesale to purchase it. they'll have a hard time saying no. as for me, i fortunately have a friend in management at the dealership, so i got quite a sweet deal, and that combined with negotiating the price at the end of the lease makes it a no-brainer for me to buy at the end.

good luck!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. negotiate the lowest selling price you can first (you do not need to tell them you plan on leasing, just say you're thinking about both - otherwise, they'll start asking you how much you want to pay per month which is only a part of the cost).

2. determine and then insist on the Audi financial services base money factor rate. This is not generally known info, but thanks to the wonders of the internet, you can find out from a number of sources, e.g. http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/financing/7615488-2.html

3. do not do any kind of "down payment". It will not count as a down payment if you wish to purchase later on, and you will lose it if the car is totaled.

4. determine the absolute total drive-off figure including the acquisition fee, taxes, licenses, first payment etc.

5. use this: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm
but add the drive off figure separately. It should give you a good indication of the total cost for the lease. One dealership I worked with could not give me numbers that worked with this calculator. They were BS-ing me and adding things on the back-end (jacking up the money factor etc). I left and found another dealer that worked with me and the numbers fit exactly.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 AM

The numbers dont' seem to add up when I got quoted for a lease...

A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line (Leather) 37,350
---------------------------------------
$5000 down payment
($397/mo) - 36 months

if you add this up..after 3 years I would have paid about $19,000 toward the car? And that 19,000 doesn't even go toward the purchase of the car?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

What;s your residual? on this quote?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: What;s your residual? on this quote?

Good question....I'll find out
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 AM

Default They will negotiate.

My dads B5 S4 had a residual of about 21k, and he bought it from Audi for 19K. They worked with him and he sold it right after and made 3k. I think that is what I am going to do with mine.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default We had this discussion on the A3 forum a while back...

Go see it for my pithy summary

That leaseguide.com site is very useful; I subscribed a long time ago and use it every time I lease.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/41375.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/41375.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What;s your residual? on this quote?

You should not put anything "down" over the required amount. Your first check (including the first month's payment) should not be over $1700 (probably lower). The thing is, with a lease, you're probably going to be paying about $5000-$6000 a year for a good lease (+drive off costs)

Here is an example for an A4 2.0T Quattro leased for 36 months with 12000 miles per year that you can plug into the calculator:

MSRP: 38,685
Base Cap Cost: 36,872 (this is the negotiated selling price, it's the same as the adjusted cap cost if you don't put anything down)
Residual for 12K miles year for 3 years: 56%
Money Factor: .00043

=$447 per month plus sales tax (about $30-35 month).

The drive off would be about $1400 which includs the acquisition fee of $575, the first month's payment, a $300 deposit, and various other registration fees). Some states work differently with sales tax (all upfront?).

The main way to get the payment lower would be to get the negotiated selling price down.

The thing to remember is that you're paying for the predicted depreciation of the car + financing fees. Even if you bought the car and sold it after 3 years, you'd probably lose about $15K-$20K on depreciation anyway.

If you bought the car outright, you could keep it longer and eventually it could be much cheaper for you (but maybe not). Lease's are for people who can consider a car a fixed expense, don't drive more than 15000 miles a year, and like to have a new car every few years. People who drive lots of miles, want to keep a car and run it forever, and like to pay off something and "own" it, should just buy the car.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:39 PM

Default So what we looking @ here??

I'm definitly a guy who likes to change cars after 3-4 years....So for a fully loaded A4...lets say @ 37,000k what would be a good monthly payment?

Quick Reply: Leasing Pitfalls?