A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Less than glowing review of Avant 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Less than glowing review of Avant 2.0T

Sorry if it's a repost...<ul><li><a href="http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/jalopnik-reviews/jalopnik-reviews-2006-a4-avant-20t-quattro-part-1-126843.php">Jalopnk Reviews '06 2.0T Avant</a></li></ul>
Old 09-21-2005, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dismissed as an ignorant reviewer.

There's no basis for what he's saying. No point in reading this article.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How is there no basis?

Just curious. I haven't driven one of these, but it isn't much different from most reviews I've read of Audis.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't completely agree with you...

First, I LOVE my car, but I do agree with his key points... the car is pretty pricey for what it is and the steering is too light. My point of comparison my B6 Avant, which my wife drives. These are also some of the same points/complaints that come up on this very board.

So, while I don't agree with him overall, I think his points are valid to a certain degree...

just my $.02
Old 09-22-2005, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Less than glowing review of Avant 2.0T

"Let's just say that the Audi A4 is an elegantly designed, superbly constructed, perfectly comfortable, smooth riding, fast moving, dubiously pricey load lugger for small people with small children and small stuff."

Yes, this car IS overpriced, by not by all that much. Yes, the rear seat IS cramped, but the driver's seat (the most important seat in the house) is very generous.

My A6 lease ends next month and I've been shopping for a new car to lease. It's down to the Subaru Outback and the A4 Avant. I'll be going with the A4 and here's why:

A Subaru is $7K less than an A4 Avant but does not include stability control, telescoping steering wheel, height/tilt for the passenger's front seat, satellite radio, decent sound system, armrest, rear cargo net, or xenon lights. Still, at about $31,000, it's decent value and a good, reliable car. The bottom line in my decision was based on several factors, including lease costs. A three year Outback actually runs $45 per month less than the A4...not much of a difference at all. Subaru residuals top out at 57% even though the car's actual depreciation is much less than an Audi. So, Audi boosts their residual values to make a lease very competitive, which almost neutralizes Subaru's price advantage.

Another factor is driving comfort and feel. Even though Subaru lists its front leg room at over 44", I could not find a comfortable place for my long legs while driving. The left foot dead pedal is cramped and badly positioned. The front passenger seat was even worse due to the lack of toe room. The A4 fits me perfectly. Steering on the Subie was very light with no feedback, body roll was pronounced, and I could hear wind noise from the doors on all samples I drove.

So, the A4 turns out to be very affordable under lease terms and handles like a sports sedan compared to the Subaru Outback line. I've owned several BMWs over the years and, no, the A4 won't out handle a Bimmer. But the Bimmer won't go in snow like the Audi, and that's why I am staying loyal to this brand.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The reasons I say dismiss this guy are:

Look at the ridiculousness of the comments in his second paragraph. Did this guy get a degree in Hyperbole?

"...with rear seats so cramped they make passengers envy a dead fish in a sardine can..."

"...such cliff face depreciation you lose money just looking at it..."

"...Avant's steering is the worst offender. Scratch a mosquito bite and you'll be driving off-road before you can say "ahhh.""

I don't think the back seats are any more cramped than the cars the A4 competes with. Both reliability and depreciation for the A4 have steadily improved over the past few years and have actually been pretty good by the 2004 model. Anyway, every car loses value unless it's an aberration. What's his point?

That's about the time I quit reading this article.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Obviously, that fool doesn't read Consumer Reports

Cause if he did, he wouldn't be calling the reliability questionable. In fact, reliability and resale for Audis in general, and the A4 in particular has improved a lot over the past few years. Of course, resale is still not up to BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti G35 standards. But Audi's resale and reliability have always been and still are better than Jaguar, Land Rover and most other vehicles in it's class.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

2nd
Old 09-22-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Not to mention he refers to the turbos in the 2.0T. Huh?

I thought there was only one turbo in the 2.0T. The review sucked, although some of his points are probably valid. I do agree that Audi has gone nuts with the pricing.

Just my $0.02.

Rich