A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

new to us B7 A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to us B7 A4 Quattro

Hi Guys,

Great forum, learned a lot already just browsing.

We got a CPO 2008 A4 Quattro (just over 40k miles) a couple of weeks back for my wife to replace her PT Cruiser. It now looks more and more like I will be primary driver and she will take over my X3 as she prefers higher seating position. I love the X3 as well, but don't think I won't be putting up a fight.... I do however have some questions as I start to put my stamp on this baby...

First one is regarding MPGs. Not really an issue for me if it is what it is, but just want to make sure my experience is in line with what other are seeing and thre is nothing I should have checked out. On my commute to work (about 9 miles Orange County city driving, I get 17.5 to 18, which is quite a bit under the rated 20mpg city. I leave for work very early, so there is no traffic issues and most of my lights are green that early. I do however go over a couple of hills and I certainly am not the most conservative driver. That said, I did try to be good for the last week or so and don't really see a big difference.

Secondly, needless to say, I need to capitalize from this "forced" switch and am starting to look at some modifications. I know this has been discussed a lot, but frankly, the more I read, the more I get confused....
At first will likely "only" do an ECU tune, but might at exhaust later on. My dealer can do the StaSis one and I have an APR tuner about 25 miles away. Haven't really looked into GAIC or others at this point.
I was pretty much set on APR as I wasunder the impression that StaSis would be much more expensive, but I see the tune listed on their website for $545. Assuming the dealer is somewhat reasonable with their cost, this should turn out to be about the same as the APR one, with the obvious benefit of the warranty.
Now to the question: In one place I read read that the StaSis tune is essentially a rebadged GAIC tune, while another appears to indicate that it is an rebadged APR tune. Is it either one of them or are they in fact creating their own? Does anybody have a definit answer on that? Also, not much info on the StaSis site, so I would like to get some real world feedback on what gains, differences, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I just bought a CPO 2008 A4 Quattro myself back in January. I have the 2.0T w/the turbo I4 engine.

I've since had the Stasis exhaust cat back installed, as well as replaced the stock cat w/a 034Motorsport high flow cat.

I've got the APR Stage II ECU Upgrade installed as well. I've heard that the Stasis software is suppose to be APR, w/the only difference being, w/the APR you can switch it off, should you want to for warranty work, while w/the Stasis you can't. The Stasis is also more expensive as well.

With the mods, I get around 25 mpg general, and 30 highway (70 mph).

With your A4, does it have the V6 engine or turbo I4? That milege is low for the turbo I4.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi GoHack and thank you for your response. Indeed it is a 2.0T. Any idea what could cause the low mpg? I thought it was a bit low as I get pretty much the same in my much heavier V6 BMW X3.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The first thing I would check is the air filter and the tire pressures. The mileage has to be low for it to be CPO, so it shouldn't need a tuneup yet, but I would check on that anyway. There's a recall on the coils as well, so make sure yours are the new replacements. Then there's the problem of carbon building up in the intake port, due to direct fuel injection. It's a problem w/all direct fuel injection engines from what I understand, especially if the vehicle does strictly local and city use, and not a lot of highway speeds. That too can be a problem. I would talk to the dealer about that. There's discussions here on this forum, and elsewhere, about using a product called Sea Foam to clean it, but if it's too servere, it has to be cleaned by hand, and can cost up to $1000 to have done, but having just bought yours, it should be covered. It's good to keep the rev's high w/this engine, in order to prevent it.

One other thing that you should have checked, is the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) CAM Follower. From what I understand, some pieces where made that weren't made to specs. They tend to wear out, and if not caught early enough, can damage the engine CAM. If it's OK, have them replace the CAM Follower, whether it needs it or not. It's a small $60 part, and worth the peace of mind. The total cost for me, part and labor, $170. The CAM on mine was OK, but the CAM Follower showed some wear, so I had it replaced. They won't check it at their cost, even under warranty, unless there's engine problems which can be due to it, like warning lights and such. If the CAM is damaged, it is covered only if the vehicle is still under warranty, unfortuniately. There's also discussions about this issue here and elsewhere. This is the only posible mechanical issue that I have heard of w/this Audi A4, otherwise it's a good vehicle.

Just because it's a CPO doesn't mean that it was fully checked out. With mine, when I bought it, it was suppose to have been completely checked out, had the engine oil/filter changed, etc, etc. After I bought it, I found out that it had no catalitic converter, instead it had a Test Tube installed, and had the APR Stage 1 software upgrade as well, which neither really bothered me, but it didn't meet Audi's CPO standards. I met and spoke w/the previous owner, an employee at the dealership, a small woman in her upper 50's, early 60's of all things , who liked performance cars, so I was comfortable w/the vehicle. It was regularly service and maintained at the dealership. They physicall gave me a brand new replacement OEM catalytic converter, to be installed by them, as well as offered to reinstall the Audi software, but said I could keep the APR software w/o it affecting any warranty work, which of course, I kept.

I decided to get the Stasis cat back exhaust installed when I bought it. Audi honors the Stasis hardware and software, as long you buy it from them and have them install it. I had the exhaust installed, but kept the Test Tube installed, and found it too loud for me. I was going to have the new OEM catalytic converter installed, but talked to the dealer to see if they would allow me to have installed, warranty wise, a free flowing catalytic converter, and reluctingly they said yes. That quieted it down a little and makes it, for the most part, legal as well.

Others can comment or correct me, should I have missed something here.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There's also an issue about some bad pcv valves out there, which I don't know if that would produce bad mileage.

Oh, by the way, w/the issue of the HPFP CAM Follower, I don't know it that would affect your milage either. It's just something to be aware of, just like the issue above.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

All great info; thanks GoHack!!!

Tire pressure is OK, so I'll probably start by dropping a K&N Filter in and see if that helps at all. If not, of to the stealer for a check up.

Thanks again and have a great weekend (and happy father's day to all the daddys our there).

Cheers.