A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Ok, going to order my car today, should i forget the bose system

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, going to order my car today, should i forget the bose system

and just add my own system afterwards. if i spend like 1500 it will be tons better. Can this be done with the MMI nav system/
Old 10-29-2005, 07:48 AM

Default good question

My guess would be that an aftermarket sound system will not have full functionality through Nav+/MMI. Might as well skip Nav+, save 2 grand, and then you'll have $3500 for a sound/nav/video system. Also note that it is much more difficult to upgrade speakers etc. once you have the Bose.

Although that said, I really like Nav+, and the Bose system sounds great in my car. But it is not an "attention getting" type of sound system.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default If you skip Bose, you're system will already sound better...

I'm not sure why Audi has stuck with this system since if you search the archives there are years of cars who all used to even code their radio to "deBose" it. Removing the Bose software improved the sound for them. I'd hop by a dealership and listen to them both at all volume levels. You'll notice the deepness in the standard setup that is unattainable in the Bose. The problem is that Audi kind of forces you into the Bose if you want Satellite radio and it is very hard to find a car with nav without the satellite and Bose. cheers! Mike
Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Man you are an idiot.

Don't listen to this guy, he's proved himself to pull information out of his ***.

For $1000, you can't put together a system that sounds as good as the Bose did. My first B7 did NOT have Bose and I was VERY VERY disappointed in the soundsystem. Sound was distorted, and muddy. At high volumes, the stereo clipped something awful. There was no mid-bass or low end to speak of.

My second and current B7 has Bose and it actually sounds quite nice, and solves most of the problems the stock system has. Nothing earth shattering, but its a lot better than you can do yourself for $1000 - $1500.

If you want to add to the BOSE system inthe future, you don't have to gut the whole thing as you did in years past. JL Audio makes a device called cleansweep now that makes it extremely easy to add subs or change speakers down the road.

Do your research and don't listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm with Zerin

The bose system isn't all that bad, it's not super great but it is better than stock, especially if you're not planning on doing anything to the stereo in the future.

Heck it's a lot better than the Bose in the B5 and there's definetly a lot more punch in the low end.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No, bhvrdr has it right.

How I interpret sound and how someone else interpets that sound is going to be different. bhvrdr's recommendation to A4xIV is about right; Listen to both side-by-side at the same volume and choose the one that sounds better to you. You hate the stock stereo. bhvrdr and I both don't like the Bose (I certainly wouldn't waste my $1000 on it, but that's my opinion).
Old 10-29-2005, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The difference is actually $600

Adding satellite radio to the base system costs $400. For $1,000, you get the satellite radio and the Bose upgrade, so the Bose with satellite costs $600 more than the base system with satellite.

The Bose is not an "audiophile" system, but it did sound better to me than the stock unit. The Bose upgrades the amp and speakers...all else is the same. CD's sound really good, FM is good, satellite is somewhat muddier because of the inherent compression used in that format. It's not a vital upgrade but, since I was going to get satellite anyway, I think the Bose upgrade is worth the $600. Having said that, if you plan on doing an aftermarket upgrade the Bose makes no sense at all since you'll be swapping out the amp and speakers anyway.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd that....i'm glad i didnt dump the extra money on it..happy with stock
Old 10-29-2005, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Listened to them side by side and went with non Bose. Bose systems are way over rated for the money.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ...

Show me all these places I pull stuff from my a$$. Ive seen you make things up with no data left and right. Why whould I make this stuff up. Just search "debose" or even look in the tech section. NO worries if you like your Bose. Good for ya. I saw no improvement in that system. I'll refrain from calling you an idiot back. You like to get all worked up don't ya fella Hahaha. Well, just remember to take a breather every once in awhile from all the stress. You're going to develop heart problems snookums. cheers! Mike<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1009312.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1009312.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Ok, going to order my car today, should i forget the bose system