A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Rear coilover install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear coilover install?

So I am in the process of trying to buy coil overs and have been reading online about the install process, it looks relatively straight forward.
But the rear coil I've have seen different approaches and techniques, from just using compressors, to loosening the sub frame or even dropping it completely.
I have also seen the spindle both on top and below the spring, the one article I read said that adjusting the rear coils with the spindle on the bottom is
impossible with sagging the sub frame.In that article the spring mount was modified to fit the spindle one the top, there is also different spindles included with coil overs.
I will post pics of the differences and please let me know how to go about mounting the spindle either top or bottom, what makes adjustment easier for the rear,
also where did you have success pre-setting the spindle as far as ride height so I don't have to play a guessing game. I am not looking to be slammed but want to
eliminate as much gap as possible and yet be functional.

So traditionally this is how they are installed making it hard to adjust ride height.

Then you can mount upside too, anyone ever do this?

Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Factory upper mount

Modded to flip to upper mount spindle

Then these mounts look like they are made for the top.

Where these have a hole for the bottom mount.

So if some one can just go over my options with me and fill me in a little more about the rear coil options,spindles, and mounting.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone have input???
Old 04-24-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bump almost 4 months later.....
Old 08-10-2023, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently installed raceland coilovers on my b7 and encountered the difficulty in adjusting with the adjuster at the bottom. I had to raise the cog as far up the threaded cylinder as I could while still being able to install the spring (i had to lower the subframe about 1/2 inch). For further adjustments I cut the tail off the supplied wrench to give me more range of motion. I contemplated mounting the adjuster on top as you pictured but decided to stick with how it was designed to go in.