A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

replace power steering pump or just pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace power steering pump or just pulley?

I am currently replacing the entire face of my b7 avant after being the caboose in a six car smash up. No airbags, no frame damage...I hit the breaks hard so I dove and almost all the damage occurred above the bumper brace. Have been pulling pieces off, my core support was smashed and cooling fans were pushed in pretty hard.

Belt and pulleys nearly all fine with the exception of the power steering pulley, which is bent. I can spin it and the shaft still seems straight, still has a little front to back play, which I understand to be normal. My plan was to replace the pulley, but I am wondering if I should go ahead and replace the pump as a precautionary measure? Don't want to get everything put back together only to find that the pump was damaged too..So far the pump is one of the most expensive parts I've come across, and recently had the entire engine rebuilt after fuel pump failure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Old 08-19-2018, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone ever searches this topic or is facing the same decision, save yourself time, money, and a whole lot of frustration and just replace the pump.
A) the pressfit pulley is extremely difficult to remove even with the perfect fit pulley puller, I tried and failed twice and it was eventually removed by a more knowledgeable mechanic with a Harmonic Balancer puller made for american engines.
B) it is very possible to damage the pump during this process anyways, apparently.
C) the removal of the pulley can reveal new places where you can see that the pump is leaking and the six hours you spent trying to get the pulley off was all for nothing.

Believe me.