A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Running Fogs with parking lights

Old 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Fogs with parking lights

My car (06 B7) is configured to run the fog lights only when the headlights are on. Is there a way to get it to work so that I can have the fogs on with only the parking lamps? (why are they called parking lamps anyway). If anyone knows how to do it a quick tutorial on how would be great.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Running Fogs with parking lights

Follow the link below. Works on B6 and B7 cars.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/333541.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/333541.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Running Fogs with parking lights

You ask "why are they called parking lights"
Basically because that is what they are for. In NYS (and many other areas I am sure) it is illegal to move from the curb and drive in a traffic lane with only your parking lights on.
Headlights on low beam are the minimum requirement for driving in a traffic lane in NYS. That is why when companies started adding daytime lights they added them to the driving or headlights, not to the parking lights - parking lights are for non-moving vehicles only and it would send out a confusing message to other motorists.
If you are driving along and you see a car in the opposite lane facing you and he has just his driving lights on, you know he is stopped and you don't have to worry about dealing with him moving into your path, etc. You might for example make a left in front of that car with the assumption he is parked. If it is someone who does not know or care about the law and they are driving along, then crash!! Most rules and laws have an element of right of way involved - that makes driving more certain and predictable.
I know of several people who have gotten tickets for driving with just the parking lights on, but that was years ago. It is like any number of traffic rules that are typically ignored by drivers these days. In NYC area where I live many people fail to put on their headlights when it is raining, even if they see hundreds of others around them with their lights on. They must think we are just "headlight freaks" or something - but it is the law.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Its sad we have to do this as my 2002 MB C230k coupe came standard that way...weird
Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Its sad we have to do this as my 2002 MB C230k coupe came standard that way...weird

If you are not supposed to drive with your parking lights on, why would it be sad that the fog lights only work with headlights? See my post replying to the inital post in this thread. I don't know where you are located - maybe it is not illegal to drive in your area/state with parlking lights, I'd be interested to know. Here in NYS you can only use parking lights when parked, and at that point fog lights might blind or confuse oncoming traffic - my take.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think they're called city lights in Europe but not sure of US laws, but yeah...

my c230k coupe in US had the ability and I was surprised. It has been five years so maybe the laws were changed later? Or that maybe the ones that were shipped to NYC and East Coast were different...

I live in Houston and I use the city lights sometimes when driving around when its cloudy or in a parking garage so ppl can see me but not necessarily annoyed by the lights. I know the city light + fog lights is mostly for asthetic reasons :-)
Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I think they're called city lights in Europe but not sure of US laws, but yeah...

I am not saying I agree that parking lights should be just when your parked - that is probably a law in NY that dates back to the days when cars were at the side of the road a lot cause they broke down lol!! I agree with you that in certain conditions city or parking lights are great - not too much light but enough so you can be seen. In my area the headlight low beams are referred to as city lights - the high beam are called highway lights. :-)
Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re: WOW, if ppl drive around with high beams around here, that would drive me nutz!!