A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Sad Sad Day

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Sad Day

Well, it finally happened. I have to pull up a ramp into an alley to exit my driveway and I've probably told my wife 100 times "be careful...idiots fly down our alley"...Turns out I'm the one who gets SLAMMED into by a moron who was going about 40 mph before he floored his brakes and skidded 25 feet into me...fantastic. Then he gets out, tells me I should have seen him coming, makes a few calls on his cell phone, gets back in his car and backs down the entire alley and leaves before the police arrive. And what do you know...he doesn't give me a single piece of information. So now it's a hit and run. The chances of him being insured seem slim to none.

Anyway, the point of my rant is the damage caused by him hitting my drivers side front quarter panel is pretty amazing. The windshield washer fluid resovoir basically exploded, and the intercooler looked all bent up. I have yet to see if the adaptive headlight will continue to "adapt" or if its toast too...

When i drove it to the body place, the revs were going from 500-2000 when stopped and the car sounded like it was sucking a TON of air as the AT shifted into each higher gear. At least I made it there...it was only about 5 blocks. I'm guessing 3-4 weeks with no car. Sucks. My rental is a 5.7HEMI Durango. I feel like I'm driving a Nascar on an F1 course!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Tough break

These situations always suck. A bit late in your case, but I strongly recommend that everyone carry a camera (a disposable cheapie is good enough) at all times in the car, and start immediately taking photos as soon as possible after the accident, i.e. before you even start exchanging info.

Try to include photos of the other driver's license plate, the driver, the occupants of the other car, the relative positioning of all of the vehicles in the wreck, and anything else that might be relevant to establishing the other party's fault so that you have documentation to work with in case of a dispute or a hit-and-run. People are such snakes in these situations that the pics will go a long way to help you to minimizing potential BS.

Good luck, I hope that things work out for you.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sucks!! How/Why did you let him drive away? Did you get his plate #?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Sad Sad Day

That really sucks.
Could be worse,though...Durango ain't a bad ride.

Did you ge the scumbags tag number?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if his car is damaged, i think they can put out a an APB
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default keep a disposable camera in the glovebox... for that exact situation

then you can take a picture of license plates
Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 AM
RKJ
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good advice!

I saw a friend get hit by a lady that ran a red-light. I jumped out of my car and started photographing the cars, people, skid marks and plates of other cars at the scene.

The lady claimed that my friend ran the light, and my photos helped him prove it was her fault by tracking down people who had seen the accident, but were gone by the time the police had arrived.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.

I learned harsh lesson from the Police. They don't actively look for these people. I had the license plate number so they were able to "track" the vehicle. Since it was registered to a driver in another city, all they did was send a letter to the person asking for information. If none came (which of course it didn't), then that's about all they were willing to do.

Fortunately, I looked for that car everywhere I went and about a month later I spotted the vehicle and driver. I followed her to a store, called cops, and she was ticketed on the spot.

Of course she denied the whole thing and when she contested the tickets in court, I was there to give testimony. She was found guilty and I had my car repaired by her insurance company. I was lucky but I'm willing to bet 99% of people this happens to are not so fortunate.

Good luck and keep your eyes open for this scumbag.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pretty sure most everyone has a pic phone.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's why I have a ton of uninsured motorist on my policy.

Quick Reply: Sad Sad Day