A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Shark Fin Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shark Fin Antenna

Hey everyone,

had a couple of questions. I just got a 2006 A4 2.0T quattro (B7? ..don't know Audi too well) last week, and already someone ripped the shark fin antenna cover off. Does this happen alot? My salesman said he'd never seen it before. Everything works fine, the radio and all, but it just looks ridiculous. Audi says they'll have to replace the entire thing, which will cost ~$700, but all I need is the cover to throw over it and it should work fine after that. I was kind of hoping not to drop so much money only a week after signing for it. I found the part cheaper online, but after shipping and handling and everything, it really wouldn't be worth it.

An independent body shop said that they'd have to order the part, paint it, and take about 3 hours of labor to install it, since they have to remove the roof inside to screw it in from the bottom, and there are all the wires and curtain airbags in the roof and whatnot. This is the first car I've ever bought, although my parents always drove BMW's. I knew repairs would be expensive when I got it, but is the dealership and the body shop trying to jack me up?

In the mean time, should I worry about water damage to the electrical components of the antenna, or even water leaking into the interior? The pc boards remain exposed and it rains everyday where I'm at. I already covered it, but it was exposed to the rain for awhile before I got back to it...

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The $700 quote was part + paint + labor on installation..
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SchmittyA4
Hey everyone,

had a couple of questions. I just got a 2006 A4 2.0T quattro (B7? ..don't know Audi too well) last week, and already someone ripped the shark fin antenna cover off. Does this happen alot? My salesman said he'd never seen it before. Everything works fine, the radio and all, but it just looks ridiculous. Audi says they'll have to replace the entire thing, which will cost ~$700, but all I need is the cover to throw over it and it should work fine after that. I was kind of hoping not to drop so much money only a week after signing for it. I found the part cheaper online, but after shipping and handling and everything, it really wouldn't be worth it.

An independent body shop said that they'd have to order the part, paint it, and take about 3 hours of labor to install it, since they have to remove the roof inside to screw it in from the bottom, and there are all the wires and curtain airbags in the roof and whatnot. This is the first car I've ever bought, although my parents always drove BMW's. I knew repairs would be expensive when I got it, but is the dealership and the body shop trying to jack me up?

In the mean time, should I worry about water damage to the electrical components of the antenna, or even water leaking into the interior? The pc boards remain exposed and it rains everyday where I'm at. I already covered it, but it was exposed to the rain for awhile before I got back to it...

Thanks.
Try calling a salvage yard to see if you can just buy the cover. Paint it with the Audi color rattle can from the dealer. Call around and let the web be your friend.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you fin a cover for your antenna? I have the same problem and the same quote from the dealer.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

There are 4 different part numbers depending on sedan, wagon, and production date. The choices are all 270.00 each for the shark fin type antenna which looks like it comes with cables and or a harness. As you already know it needs paint. I'd give you the part number if I knew your vin. I hope this helps you out. Thank you, Jeff.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Vin # for Shark fin antenna

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
There are 4 different part numbers depending on sedan, wagon, and production date. The choices are all 270.00 each for the shark fin type antenna which looks like it comes with cables and or a harness. As you already know it needs paint. I'd give you the part number if I knew your vin. I hope this helps you out. Thank you, Jeff.

My Vin # is WAUDG74F45N119701. Thanks for your help. Is this something a reasonably handy person can install?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Banned

I'm sorry for the long delay, couldn't get on to the forum yesterday for some reason. Slow connection through work here I think.

That antenna should be 4F5-035-504-H-GRU per your vin#. 243.75 is the price and it's in stock.

As far as installation, probably depends on your ability to pull the headliner if needed. This part has about 5 feet of harness to it. I'd say it's a pretty good size job if you aren't familiar with removing interior parts like pillar linings and headliners.

Again, I'm sorry for my delay getting back to you. Jeff.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We are having the same problem and we have a quote that's a little higher. My vin# is WA1LGAFE9CD007327
Can you tell me if these two parts numbers are compatible with my vehicle?
4L0035503NGRU
4L0035503L
The first number was given to me by the dealership.​​​