A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

So the B7 has been in the shop for 5 days due to a cold start issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So the B7 has been in the shop for 5 days due to a cold start issue.

It seems that I've always had a starting issue with this car. It takes about 3 or 4 attempts to get it started when cold.

So I took it to the dealer and for three days it started at the dealer w/o issue.

They asked me if I wanted to pick it up but I told them to drive it, leave it overnight and check it again.

So on the 5th day they started it and no go.
No codes, so they're a little stumped.

In the mean time I have a B6 loaner.

I have to say I'm glad I missed the B6 (I had a B5 prior). Its a nice car but the B7 is much better all around. Better handling, Better braking. Personally I think the B5 was a better car than the B6 is.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:12 PM

Default I feel as if I'm headed down the same road

I have 875 miles on the car and the car turns over but just barely and a couple of cranks. Did you have this problem from delivery? How long have you had your car?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: I feel as if I'm headed down the same road

It's got about 1700 miles on it now, I have had it since October.

The problem was intermittent since I picked it up, however I attributed it to the number of short trips that I make.

Now that its colder (about 23F) its significantly worse. It consistently takes 3 - 4 attempts to get it running and when it starts it stumbles for a while before running smoothely.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Good starts at 22 and 18 below zero

Yesterday it was 22 below, this morning 18 below zero F. It took about 2 or 3 seconds of cranking, but then fired right up on both days. The car is in an unheated garage and does not have an engine block heater.

Something has to be wrong if your car is not turning over the first time you try to start it.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:54 AM

Default I AM ON DAY 5 FOR THE SAME PROBLEM TOO !

Sorry for the capitalization in the subject. I was just a little happy to hear that someone is sharing the same problem as I am. I have the same exact symptoms, if not worse - the car takes 3 or 4 attempts (separate independent tries to start) on cold Connecticut mornings.

The car has been in for a total of 5 days now over the course of a few weeks. It is back in today. On the last trip, the dealer discovered that the fuel pressure was low. They ordered a new fuel filter (apparently with a built in regulator) and will be installing it today. They have no idea if this will correct the issue.

I should note that there appears to be a temporary workaround. If you leave the key in the ignition (with the key turned to ON, but without starting the car) for about 15-20 seconds before starting the car, you'll see the status lights on the dash come on and apparently fuel pressure will start to build up. The car may still stumble when you try to start, but I have seen a significant improvement in cold weather starting when trying this. Of course, it's no long term solution, but a possible workaround until Audi figures out the problem.

As of now, even Audi's TechLine is stumped.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Fuel pressure pretty critical for the FSI engine

I think I read in that 2.0T technical PDF that the fuel pump kicks in when the driver's door is first opened. It does keep track the number of times the door is closed/opened such that it doesn't put too much stress on the pump.

Now I don't know if this was for both VWs and Audi's using the 2.0T or if it was just for VWs since the PDF had VW written all over it, so not sure if the pump kicks in at the time the door opens or if the key is turned on without starting as you mentioned.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There's something wrong there.

I live in Upstate NY. The temps have been running between 5F and -20F over the last week. I live in an apartment so I don't have a garage. My car gets cold soaked every night and is often covered in snow.

It starts every morning with only the slightest hint of longer cranking times when it's REALLY cold. I've never had to try and crank it more than once.

Once it fires up, it idles normally.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: There's something wrong there.

I agree there must be something wrong. Live north of Boston where it's been between 10 and 20 degrees and never had a problem in the morning. Parked outside on the street. I think it might crank a second longer, but always starts on the first try. 6k miles.

Wow, looking at that post above, -22 and -18 degrees. Hope it never gets THAT cold here... brrr.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:47 AM

Default I've been turning the key to "on" until the status check completes before

trying to crank it in this cold. So foar it's worked well and started on the first try after 3-5 cranks.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 AM

Default I have the same problem

Mine has just over 1K miles. Cold mornings, or even after work...freezing temps seem to be causing this. I imagine it will be tough for my dealer to find though as it is inconsistant. Some days its fine, other days, it will crank and crank and sputter to life. Once its started, all is well. But it is a bit embarrasing when your co-workers are checking out your new car and you can't even get it started.

Quick Reply: So the B7 has been in the shop for 5 days due to a cold start issue.