A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

So I emailed AoA via their Website about center position LATCH

Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I emailed AoA via their Website about center position LATCH

It's a shame that i have to choose between the safety of LATCH lower anchors or the safety of using the center position. I shouldn't have to choose one or the other.

Almost no US cars offer this feature, even though it shouldn't be too difficult to pull off. VAG offered LATCH lower anchor retrofit installs into the B5 Passat and A4; a center-position retrofit doesn't seem impossible on the B7. This is what I suggested to them. (that they offer a TSB / Dealer retrofit for center position LATCH lower anchors).

I also suggested that it should come standard on the B8, assuming there is any time for minor alterations in that design cycle.

Our Graco Snugride infant seat fits fine in the center position of the Avant... its just a hassle to install the base using the 3pt belt. If i could use the LATCH lower anchors I'd be much happier, I suspect.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Re: So I emailed AoA via their Website about center position LATCH

Do you use multiple positions in the back seat (ie. more than one seat/booster)? If not, then using the inner LATCH anchors of the left and right seat for the center positioning is what I do. Anchored tight, I think its safer than the side positions.....but makes it tough to dump in the kid that is extra heavy but too young to climb in himself (my kid)!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: So I emailed AoA via their Website about center position LATCH

I did the same and had the CHP check it and it was fine.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:52 AM

No.. but.. Audi specifically says NOT to do this
Old 06-23-2007, 12:24 PM

Default No offense, but are there any automotive engineers working for CHP?

Most carseats and most cars in the US specifically say that they cannot be spanned in the middle across 1 anchor each of the two outboard positions.

Wether this is for legal or structural reasons (or both)- the point is the same: If you were in an accident and the seat failed somehow, your insurer could elect not to cover any injury claims, and at worst you could be prosecuted for negligence.

The US government is pretty stupid around child safety / protection laws. For instance, it's illegal for me to use a non-US approved child seat in my car, even though european models are in some cases much safer than what I can buy here. Uncle Sam's sticker is all that matters, and if i tried to do the "right thing" that would be irrelevant at court time.

The US government doesn't trust me to make good decisions in the interest of my child, and I don't trust the government not to put me in jail or steal custody of my child if I disobey my masters.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: No offense, but are there any automotive engineers working for CHP?

None taken.....but if you look at how the seats work, the car simply provides an anchor point. Using the outside anchors in unison to position the seat in the middle may change the tether angle slightly, but still effective, I'm pretty sure. Without alot of engineering analytics, I think we can all deduce that the center is safer using the anchors "illegally" than the it is if the seat is on one side or the other....if you get t-boned. I'll vote for my kids safety over a law suit. Law suit only comes if your kid dies or is seriously maimed.........if that happened I won't give a f*$% anyway.

CHiPs rule. Officer Poncherello was definitely an engineer.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing this does not comply with LATCH standards (anchors are too close) and should not be done.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sure your non-engineering reason is as good as than the engineering tests performed

The center position is safer IF AND ONLY IF the seat is properly mounted to a latch designed to work with the center position.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Default I did this as well

the idea is that the seat doesnt move in the position it is in. THere is also a center top hook. It actually fits better than in the other positions for some reason. I can barely budge it and I shake it really hard.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default huh? isn't the idea is to have the safest install possible? how is using LATCH anchors in a manner

not consistent with the engineering safe?. Sure, it "doesnt move in the position it is in" but that doesn't mean that it is safe. The middle anchors are too close together for a proper LATCH installation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I emailed AoA via their Website about center position LATCH