A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Sport Suspension

Old 05-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Suspension

How much different is the sport suspension from the standard stock suspension? I am currently deciding between two cars but the color combo that I prefer does not have sport suspension. Unfortunately the car with it would have to be ordered from another dealer so I cannot test it out first. Will it be a drastic difference?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default All depends on how you like to drive....

The sports suspension on the B7 is pretty good (IMHO), not only in both the looks and ride height, but in performance over the non-sports, so if you like to take corners quickly and have a little (safe) fun on the road then I'd go with the sports suspension. Are both cars Quattro? If so, the quattro with the sports suspension can be a lot of fun indeed....

Just my 2 cents..

Nick
Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Keep in mind that the suspension can always be upgraded later on, while a paint change would be

immensely expensive. You can probably pick up someone's used sport suspension for a few hundred bucks.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: All depends on how you like to drive....

Sport suspension + 40psi in the rubber = a great commute.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mind the gap then it is no big deal, but if the gap will eat away at you.......
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Puts a smile on my face...

..everyday!

Cheers!

Nick
Old 05-18-2008, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default go with standard and than upgrade to better aftermarket setup

that will make you most happy. body roll is little better with sport but nevertheless it needs to be harder if you push it in any way
Old 05-19-2008, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Sport Suspension

You will notice a comfortably stiffer suspension with the sport versus standard. Working it through the twisties or highway onramps will be when you really are glad you have the sport setup.

I was at the track this weekend with my 07 Avant SLine (sport suspension standard with SLine). I rode in a B6 S4 with H&R Sport setup and sway bars to compare. His car definitely handled better, and was obviously faster, even with my 93 APR chip. However, running in the pits, I noticed that his ride is very firm, even on small bumps. I don't think I'd like it every day.

My car handled really well. The ride for every day driving is great... stiff and responsive, but not uncomfortable. On the track the sport suspension really did a nice job. The car leans, but not too much. I felt very well in control, could easily control the conact patch with the go-pedal, and I was fast. In fact, I was able to beat two porsches in the corners. That's not because my car is better, but I was able to have the confidence to attack the corners more than they did. If the body roll bothers me next time, I'll get a sway bar and still skip the coilovers. Overall, I came away very impressed with the sport suspension as a nice compromise for everyday ride comfort, nice ride height, and very good "at the limit" handling characteristics.

Comparing that to the cars with standard suspension, it was easy to see that the stockers had lots more body roll, and the ride height makes them look less sporty. If I loved everything about the car except the standard suspension, I'd definitely be planning to change to either the Stasis setup or the H&R coilover setup. If they are priced the same, that means you should plan to pay an extra $2k for the right color, after the suspension change.

So, you gotta decide what's important to you, and what you plan to do with the car.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default nice overview, like you said it is the preference. keep in mind he likes the color of the other one.

H&R and Bilstein combo. I had it for more than a year. I love how it handles when you push it or when you drive it on the street. cost me 1200 with labor. It is worth every penny of it.