A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Stage 1 to Stage 2- worth it?

Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanster
KMD is internals only. APR upgrades the internals only as well, but they test your HPFP in house before sending it back to you and I think warranty the whole assembly. KMD will only warranty its internals???
Thanks. So that means I'd have to build the HPFP myself? In that case, I rather pay the extra money for APR, if I even need to upgrade my HPFP.

Do you mind answering the questions in my other post? Sorry for the influx of questions, but I'm new to this and trying to weigh my options! Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by unref
Hrm, I see. The problem I have is I have an automatic so I can't use the APR exhaust...

I guess I don't see the point in stage 2 if the gains are slow low, but stage 3 definitely shows improvements...

What about stage 3? It costs $4k so it's a hefty chunk of change but you get 318hp and 338lb-tq according to APR http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_...t_fsi_k04.html . APR has another stage 3 kit that gets even better performance.

Would you see a massive change in driving with this kit from a stage 1 ECU chip? I'm tempted to try it, but would need to know how much in other parts it is going to cost me.

Would it be possible to buy a used turbo off eBay and use that instead of getting the stage 3 kit from APR? It would certainly be cheaper. Or is this not possible-- you won't see improvements or whatnot?

Regarding suspension:

I just bought a rear RS4 sway bar, which should help. Do you have a recommendation for coil overs? What do you use?

I still have stock 17" rims and really like them, so would prefer to stick to them rather than upgrade. The only downside is I can't use the S4 brakes, at least according to ECS tuning. I just put on new Hawk ceramic pads and Miele rotors.

Honestly...I would not go Stage 3 until I went Stage 1 (93 octane). Stage 1 is a HUGE difference in feel from the stock tune. With Stage 1 you do not need any hardware. An upgraded DV is recommended (but not required).

I don't have coilovers but the usual suspects are the KONI, ST Coilovers, KW Variant, Eibach Pro Street, Tein, Vogtland, H & R, etc.

If you want another performance mod, and one that is overlooked quite often is the the upgraded 4:1 center differential from JHM. It is fantastic for the mountain roads you drive because when exiting the turn (and if you're giving it enough power), it has the capability of transferring 80% of the power to the rear wheels versus only 66%. In reality it has the ability to transfer 80% of the power to which ever set of wheels has the most traction (front vs rear) but it will feel more like a RWD in the instance of twisting roads. THe good thing though is that it maintains the 50/50 bias of AWD under normal driving conditions. The upgrade is only $350.

This is one that I have been considering but haven't pulled the trigger on.

Of course you need to be able to put enough power down to the wheels to even feel those benefits, but that is where Stage 1 comes into play!!

Last edited by Shanster; 06-07-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

oh and GO CELTS!

EDIT: WOOF!

Last edited by Shanster; 06-08-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: blow out!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

audi a4 b7 2.0 tfsi....I'm looking to carry out a stage 2 remap. standard turbo requires overhaul...for a few more pennies I can achieve 290 - 320bhp on a stage 1 turbo. will the stage 2 apr remap accept the modified turbo??..
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=unref;24309220]How does Unitronic compare to APR? There are several APR dealers in the Boston area whereas there are none for Unitronic...

What is HFC and DP?
High flow Catalytic converter and down pipe