A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Strange Exposed Port On Engine Blck

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Exposed Port On Engine Blck

I posted this under another duscussion topic, but haven't gotten a reply yet, so I'll try here.

2007 A4 2.0T

While tracking a small oil leak, I found an open port on the left side of my engine block. Looking inside it has a iron gear (that is turning when motor is running). There is no oil, coolant, or fluid leaking from the port and appears very clean. It is roughly a 1" round machined opening with two small threaded holes on either side. It looks as if it may be some sort of accessory drive, but at the very least, I think it should have a dust/moisture cover on it.

What is it? And does it sound like I might be missing a dust cover? Why no lubrication for the turning gear inside? Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been searching the internet for what this might be with no results.

I'm guessing maybe it ought to have coolant flowing into it? That would explain no oil residue, the clean appearance, and no fluid coming from it. I bought the car used and obviously someone has removed something. I'm not experiencing any issues (overheating, warning lights, performance, etc).

I may try and get by the dealer for their review. I either need to get coolant flowing to it again or find a block off plate if the port serves no purpose.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After doing more research online. Is this something to do with the heater. Maybe hot water thermostat location for the heater? I can't find a digram or exploded view of the heating water or cooling water system.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a picture of the engine port in question. This is a Quattro, so the engine faces forward. This port is roughly 3/4" dia. it is located on the block, below the intake, mid to rear of block on the driver’s side. Not visible in this shot, there is what appears to be an iron gear inside the opening that does turn when the engine is running.

Does anyone have any idea what should be mounted here?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oops, that didn't work. Let's try this again.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www2.snapfish.com/bellsouth/s...AME=bellsouth/

How do I post a photo? The links aren't working.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 283 Likes on 229 Posts

Could you post a pic with a broader view of the engine. I looked on mine just alongside where the coolant reservoir is and on the engine block underneath the intake The only area I see that looks sort of similar based on that corrugated hose, has what looks like a plastic cover attached with 3 bolts.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like that is on transmission side where a speed sensor would be on some models, the gear you are seeing is the flywheel
Old 07-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had a look. It is your fly wheel showing through.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

FLYWHEEL, that makes since and is a relief. Wow, I would have thought it to be further back. I'm a newbee to Audi and 4 cyl as far as that goes, I've always owned and worked on American V8's and such.

So, a speed sensor would be mounted on there for some models, it sounds like I simply need to find a speed sensor / flywheel inspection port cover (or what ever it may be called).

Thank you guys for you input.

Quick Reply: Strange Exposed Port On Engine Blck