A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Super Car was crunched last night and I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Car was crunched last night and I need some advice

I'm stopped waiting for traffic to move then all the sudden I'm hit in the back by a Subaru who was pushed into me by a tow truck. The Subie actually flew over the right side of my car, I saw his wheels flash by my passenger window, and he landed in front of me. I've never seen anything like that in my life, luckily nobody was hurt.

The rear right fender was completely smashed in and I had to use a crowbar to pry the fender off of the tire enough so I could drive it home. Honestly, I didn't think it looked that bad.

However, driving it a short distance back to my house I noticed that it didn't track straight anymore - that I had to hold the steering wheel to the left to keep the car going straight. Since the front end wasn't touched, I'm thinking my car is bent. That sound like a reasonable assumption to you guys?

Here's the deal, if my car is bent, I don't want it anymore. Am I'm just being completely type-A here? Do you think a car can actually be straightened out to the point where you'd never notice it driving strange?

Anyone have any idea how much it costs to repair something like this if the car is bent? I'm trying to get an idea if I can push on the insurance company to total it.

I worked hard, saved my money, and bought a car I've lusted after for years. I don't want to drive a wrecked car. BTW it's a 2.0, manual, quattro with Koni coilovers.

Thanks in advance for any info you fellas can provide.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

we have an A4, Subaru, and a tow truck. Where was the "Super Car" in all this?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Default das A4, natürlich - this ain't no subaru forum

seriously, you don't think A4's are great cars?
Old 05-16-2008, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I like my A4, but it needs 8 more cylinders
Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 PM
jba
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Go through your insurance. Get a good eval of the costs of fixing the car.

Any frame/suspension damage is going to be very expensive, but it sounds like the car is fixable. Any pics of the damage?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Expert

A4 ist toll. Ich liebe mein Audi.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yep, you need a good eval first.

Talk to your service manager about their experiences dealing with local shops, and stop by the top 2 or 3 for their opinions. It's hard and probably foolish to make a decision on totaling your well built "super car" before you know what's wrong. As bad and strange as the accident sounds, your car may well be totally fixable. Ask the estimator to put themselves in your shoes, and see what they'd do. After you do that, you can take their estimate to your service manager and ask the same questions.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2008, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default why isn't the other guy's insurance paying for this?

if you have frame damage, the cost for repair might end up totaling the car. but you need to have it looked at first before you can go any further
Old 05-17-2008, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. The insurance adjusters will determine whether the car is repairable or not.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If your frame is bent, I'd bet on it being totaled

depending on current value. My bro-in-law owns a body shop and he just bought a Subaru Forrester that was totaled because the rear part of the frame was slightly bent and the hood was damaged. The blue book value was around 10K and he paid 1.8 K for it as a salvage.

Quick Reply: Super Car was crunched last night and I need some advice