A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Tail Lights Random Outage, 2006 A4 2.0T Manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Lights Random Outage, 2006 A4 2.0T Manual

At seemingly random times (whether starting up my car or just driving), one of my two brake lights will report correctly as being out (and it's out). So, most of the time, one of them works, but it could be either (or both out at the same time. i had that happen one time.) left or right brake light that's out while I drive. Occasionally, one of the back left other lights will be out (driving light, turn signal, or reverse) as well, but mostly they don't go out.

I replaced the brake lights, thinking they were just going out. I was good for about a day... But then it kept happening.

I took it to an import car repair shop, and they replaced about 4 or 5 bulbs total, and called it good. I told them about all this, and they said they'd look into it. They drove it and started it multiple times. They didn't encounter any outages.

One day later, i start the car up, and it says right parking brake light is out, and it is. The next day is today, and everything's working correctly. I'm just waiting for these bulbs (or some intermediate electronics) to fail as before. I didn't ask the repair place if the bulbs were blown, but when I inspected them before taking it to them, none of them were blown.

Also, my battery is old and needs replaced even though the car repair place said it was still good. It had some hard starts over the winter, and it seems something is draining the battery while the car is off. I digress, but I suspect some sort of under-volatage condition could be hard on some intermediate electronics parts that i suspect exist between the turn signals and breaks to their respective lights. Maybe this is relevant, maybe not.

Halp?

- Rich
Old 04-28-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scratch that.

After the shop replaced all the bulbs, I haven't had this problem but that one time. Strange behavior, but it's fixed.