A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Tip Transmission stutter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip Transmission stutter

Hi guys,

Recently, when my 05.5 Tiptronic downshifts from 3rd to 2nd, the car stutters and grinds. It's been off and on - sometimes its real smooth and other times its so rough that the passangers in the back can feel it. I took it to the dealer to check the tranny fluid but they said it was fine and they didn't find anything wrong. Someone on audizine mentioned it could be an issue with the torque converter and to get a software reflash. Is the torque converter a physical part? Wouldn't this affect all the gear changes, and wouldn't it be happening all the time?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey, I have the exact same problem with my 2006 2.0T Avant. It is incredibly annoying, every other gear change is smooth, whether up or down. I have noticed that if I brake more forcefully that it does not do it, if I brake gently (much like you would when in traffic) that it jerks. I tried with the tip set to S and did not notice it as much, but that could just be coincidence more than anything else.

I had read that it is the ECU adjusting to your driving habits, but I have driven about 800 miles since getting my A4 and it's no different. I am pretty sure I will have to take it in and have it looked at, but need to be the one taking it for a test drive so I can show the tech exactly what the problem is. Unfortunately I can't get back to the dealer for at least another week, let me know if you find anything out, I could not find much info here or on audizine, or on Google.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue with mine. I have an 05.5 A4. Only after me and the tech took the car out on a drive and he could see what I was talking about did they agree to work on the issue. Apparently the tip tranny needed a software update. No issues since then. I think there was a TSB on it. Either way take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Hope it helps