A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring

Has anyone wired for a simple trailer on a B7? I want to tow a small trailer with a 4 prong lead (brake lights and turn signals).

I assume that the extra power draw will freak out the can-bus if not done right??
Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

good luck! quoted about $400+ just to do the wiring another 260 to install the hitch, from both indy places, audi, and a trailer shops. I have a small trailer and snowmobile (less than 1000lbs combined) i wanted to tow, and can't justify the $660+ for one more winter. lease ends in april, just going to buy out the last 3/4 mo's and get an suv.

but please post if you find a cheaper way...
Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just wired a B6 with a 4-pin trailer wiring harness and tow hitch. It's pretty easy...I plan to write a tech article about it soon.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rex07
I just wired a B6 with a 4-pin trailer wiring harness and tow hitch. It's pretty easy...I plan to write a tech article about it soon.
Please post!! this may save me from having to get a non audi this winter when my lease is up. thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2009, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just said screw it and bought a 99 Eurovan for a tow vehicle.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tech article posted

I posted the tech article on how to wire up the trailer. Here's my Audi in action towing a large load! It's more then adequate for light duty hauling---better than buying a pickup.
Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 AM

I just went to U-Haul to have them install a hitch plus wiring on my A4 Avant (B7). Total cost will be ~$250 for the hitch (installed), plus the wiring, maybe ~100 (I'm still waiting for the part to come in).

Turns out the wiring on the Avant is different than on the sedan and requires a special adapter. Seems that the Avant uses a single wire to control all the light functions (marker, turn signal, and brake) but with different resistance across the wire for each of the functions. Generally different wires are used for the functions. The U-Haul guys told me the sedan is easy (they had already done a few earlier in the month), but the Avant is hard (because they didn't have the correct part). Also the manufacturer (Drawtite) listed the incorrect part in their spec sheet which added to the confusion.

My advice is to be careful, make sure you get exactly the correct parts, and do not assume that what works on one model will work on the other.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jm3xp
I just went to U-Haul to have them install a hitch plus wiring on my A4 Avant (B7). Total cost will be ~$250 for the hitch (installed), plus the wiring, maybe ~100 (I'm still waiting for the part to come in).

Turns out the wiring on the Avant is different than on the sedan and requires a special adapter. Seems that the Avant uses a single wire to control all the light functions (marker, turn signal, and brake) but with different resistance across the wire for each of the functions. Generally different wires are used for the functions. The U-Haul guys told me the sedan is easy (they had already done a few earlier in the month), but the Avant is hard (because they didn't have the correct part). Also the manufacturer (Drawtite) listed the incorrect part in their spec sheet which added to the confusion.

My advice is to be careful, make sure you get exactly the correct parts, and do not assume that what works on one model will work on the other.
can i use the part what you used for your a4 to my 2007 q7?
Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The tech article, for anyone looking for it, is:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec184.shtml
Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rex07
The tech article, for anyone looking for it, is:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec184.shtml
Thanks for posting this. Does anyone know if these parts will work on the A4 Avant (B7)? I put on a hitch, but can't find anyone who can do the wiring, inlcuding the local dealer. thx

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring